New Cap on Secondary=More Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zorbarose

Reaction score
Hey- I had the orange headcap on the secondary (with dry hops) and the vodka in the airlock was even. Put the stopper on, and the vodka level shifted to fill up one side leaving the other one empty. When I put the airlock on the new stopper, a drop or two of vodka dripped into the wort. Now, with the shift in the airlock level, I'm also seeing 1 bubble per 30 seconds. Is there anything I have to worry about? Do you think I'll be ready to bottle in 10 days?

If you move the secondary, it will release some of the dissolved CO2, which can continue for awhile.

More important than the bubbles is the specific gravity of the product before bottling. The recipe or kit should tell you what is the expected finishing Gravity. This is an important test. It will protect you against bottling when you still have significant fermentable sugar remaining in your beer (for instance if the temperature was too low for the yeast to ferment in the expected time frame, warm it up, the yeast finds food, releases CO2, bottles burst).

10 days? I do not know. Check the specific gravity.

Vodka dripping in the beer? Not a problem...

Fermentation probably didn't increase. You've probably just improved the seal so you're seeing more evidence of it.

This is why airlock activity is not always a reliable indication of activity.

The hydrometer can tell you if it will be ready to bottle. Anyone else (Including you) will be guessing.

66% attenuation seems a little low.
Try it in 3 days and see what's happening then.
Unless there is something wrong there's no reason why it shouldn't be ready in 10 days.

Unless you are in a rush it'll probably be a better beer if you leave it longer.
Is the a reason you are set on 10 days?

Beer software sounds cool. where can i get some? Downloadable? I am looking at 10 says just because that's what the guy at the beer supply store suggested. It's an IPA/Maibock blend with an ale yeast. Used Simcoe hops as dry hop.

I have to disagree with him.

If he was doing you and the beer a service he'd of stated that 10 days should be considered an absolute minimum IF the beer is done.
He should of then said within reason the longer you leave it the better it will be.

I think sellers state 10 days because they like to say you can make and drink the beer in 20 to 30 days thinking it will help them get the sale.

Assuming it's been in primary for a while already, you're asking if it's going to be ready to bottle after 10 days in the secondary? Very possible, but it really depends.

How long was the beer in primary? I typically do a 10 day primary and then a 10-14 day secondary before bottling, one of the things I have learned is that rushing it to bottle doesn't really speed anything because then it just takes more time in the bottle to condition and taste the way it should. After 3 weeks in the bottle most of my beers are nicely drinkable.

If it's at 1.020 now it will probably be finished in 10 more days, but you'll want to check to be sure. Even so, I'd still wait until it's at least 21 days old to bottle.

Back