New BrewTuber on YouTube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvanTheTerribrew

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I'm thinking about starting a new YouTube channel for doing home brew Wednesdays along with some of the other brewtubers. Just wanted to bring it up here for 1) letting people know 2) getting some ideas or input of things to talk about if I start running low on ideas. And whatever else comes from starting this thread.

I have only been brewing for about 1.5 years so I'm no expert but It really helped me out to find YouTube videos talking about certain things and seeing things used during the last year and I just want to give back to that same community.

I am a big fan of Craigtube and others online. If you're interested give me a reply on here. I'm thinking about doing a HBW every other week for now and seeing where it goes from there. I'm planning to use adobe premiere to edit my videos. I'm using a iPad to record and have no supplemental audio equipment like a wireless mic or anything. Just throwing that stuff out there just to see what people think for now.

Well I hope to get a few replies and see how the community feels about this. Cheers!

CraigTube is nice and all but his gangly yellow teeth when he does close up talking is disgusting, lol

Hey man just saw your post good luck with your HBW that dude Craig gets a lot of free stuff. If you happen to want some help I just got a new hd camcorder

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I did some videos till my old digital camera that also does streaming video messed up. I did videos showing the various gadgets I've collected that make brew day or bottling day easier/faster. Beer tastings from swaps as well. Discussions about brewing. That sort of thing. I use windows movie maker 2.6 atm. I even figured out how to use it's special effects for fading in & out of scenes to do the Star Trek beaming bit. Gotta get better with timing that one though. Just use your imagination & what effects,etc are available to you. I don't even have a tripod. I just used a bar stool & some books to prop the camera up at the right level & went for it.

One thing I have noticed is many YouTube guys skip steps that as a brewer, I want to see, but include steps that are unnecessary. For example many show them weighing hops and "ok, now I am dumping in the 30 minute hop addition."

Those things are fine to include, but sometimes I look for the more seldom talked about steps like how you managed to lift that full keggle to the burner, or how you are adjusting your co2 regulator, etc...

There are many videos that cater to New brewers, but few that teach the small, overlooked tricks that can be overwhelming for a "mid-grade" brewer

Hey man just saw your post good luck with your HBW that dude Craig gets a lot of free stuff. If you happen to want some help I just got a new hd camcorder

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks for the reply!

- ISM NRP

I did some videos till my old digital camera that also does streaming video messed up. I did videos showing the various gadgets I've collected that make brew day or bottling day easier/faster. Beer tastings from swaps as well. Discussions about brewing. That sort of thing. I use windows movie maker 2.6 atm. I even figured out how to use it's special effects for fading in & out of scenes to do the Star Trek beaming bit. Gotta get better with timing that one though. Just use your imagination & what effects,etc are available to you. I don't even have a tripod. I just used a bar stool & some books to prop the camera up at the right level & went for it.

Yeah I'm hoping to make some friends and do some beer swaps. I'm planning on seeing if one of my local homebrew buddies wants to maybe do a subseries for tasting both craft and home brews and say what we think. We are by no means even moderately talented at tasting/reviewing, but we can have fun.
Yeah I was thinking of using WMM cuz I used to back in the day. Thanks for the tips.

- ISM NRP

One thing I have noticed is many YouTube guys skip steps that as a brewer, I want to see, but include steps that are unnecessary. For example many show them weighing hops and "ok, now I am dumping in the 30 minute hop addition."

Those things are fine to include, but sometimes I look for the more seldom talked about steps like how you managed to lift that full keggle to the burner, or how you are adjusting your co2 regulator, etc...

There are many videos that cater to New brewers, but few that teach the small, overlooked tricks that can be overwhelming for a "mid-grade" brewer

Tx-brewer that's awesome advice. Thank you. I will definitely keep that in mind. I fully agree that those steps get missed and I think a lot of time it's because we don't have a camera person to catch those shows well but even for lifting a full pot of wort, I'll do my best to show how I do it. I work in EMS so I am a huge advocate for proper lift technique and back posture. I'll also be sure to make a kegging video going through all of the steps and even trying to list parts by links because I know I dislike when I watch a video and I want to get the same thing someone else uses but have no idea how to find it.

These have been great tips everyone has given. Please feel free to add more as you think of them.

Cheers!

- ISM NRP

Yeah I'm hoping to make some friends and do some beer swaps. I'm planning on seeing if one of my local homebrew buddies wants to maybe do a subseries for tasting both craft and home brews and say what we think. We are by no means even moderately talented at tasting/reviewing, but we can have fun.
Yeah I was thinking of using WMM cuz I used to back in the day. Thanks for the tips.

- ISM NRP

I would play on that inexperience actually. One thing I've noticed when people start talking about tasting beer is that in some ways I lose interest because I don't see how they're really getting the "notes" they're getting. Nowadays it is slightly different, but still, something I would love to learn more about. For example, if you're trying a HB that was brewed with one hop. Discuss the taste of the beer and then look at that hop profile. Does the beer taste like that hop profile? Can you tie the two together? Being hyper-focused on something like that may be neat. Instead of sticking with "malty, high hop character, lighter body, good carbonation" maybe say that the hops are the star of the show and that hop profile says there is a peach/lemon character to it but I only taste the lemon. This is a ramble but with mildly good intention.

Also, I echo the statement where brewing videos skip steps that I think people assume are "common knowledge" when they're not. If you brew using propane then discussing the flame, how to avoid soot on your boil kettle, etc etc. If you smell propane then you're wasting it because it's not being burned off so do this...

I think there is room for more videos but finding a niche is probably good. Focusing on beginners isn't quite the niche, but focusing on the little nuances of brewing that are often overlooked in beginner videos, is probably a good place to start. Oh and teeth, those are pretty important. ;)

I'm a new brewer and things I like to see are how to do the simple things. I've noticed people have tons of different ways just to get a FG reading. Some people pull the lid and drop the hydrometer while other pull samples and do it that way.

Maybe even some basic discussion on what hops are and how they're grown so new brewers know they aren't some magical pellet that's cooked up in a lab somewhere. Or the difference between different yeast and how yeast actually produces alcohol and CO2 as byproducts.

I'm a big advocate of the thought that to be better at something you have to understand the how and the why something works rather than the fact that it just happens because thats the way it is. Also Ask for people's questions via comment section or a twitter page and try to answer one on the show to make people feel included. Of course in the end it's your show and this is just my own lowly 0.02 cent. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

As in my gadget videos,if I don't say where I got it,or how much it was,I list the places I got'em in the credits. Just another little thing to keep in mind when you forget something on camera. It's not as easy as it looks being in front of the camera,rather than just shooting a video of something while you talk behind it.

I was doing live streaming of my brew days at work for a while but got sidetracked with a thousand other things :(

I made a point to have chat windows up to take live questions and also to show the brew from start to finish including the boring parts. I also made a point to explain what and why I was doing it. Same thing every time I brewed which may seem overly repetitive but that is what brewing is and my goal was to show that the only difference between a home brewer and a commercial brewer was scale of production.

I may get back on it a bit later this year but I have some irons in the fire and there is a chance I will be moving locations later this year or early next year.

I really need a better camera with a larger memory card myself. This one cuts out in the middle of the video,& the screen being built into the back,I can't see the little light.

I really need a better camera with a larger memory card myself. This cuts out in the middle of the video,& the screen being built into the back,I can't see the little light.

You can stream it and upload it at the same time through Ustream or you can record directly to the HDD of your comp using their interface...as long as your vid cam is connected to your comp it is an easy solution and will allow you to go back and edit the vid for archive uploading.

My comp is supposed to recognize it as an external drive,but doesn't. Never did. Thus the need for a newer,better camera.

Great advice everyone. And yeah xjedi I know what you mean! I mean, I'm by no means an expert but I can definitely talk about things that I have thoughts on and that some people may think it's "basic" knowledge, but we all had to learn it somewhere.

I agree with the whole tasting thing about trying to specify what it is that I'm tasting and how I'm perceiving it. I know what you mean, when people tell me they are tasting "earthy... Piney... European..." Etc.. I'm thinking to myself..

What does Europe taste like..? And I am European lol.

I'll definitely keep these things in mind. When I post a vid up I'll let you know on here and see if anyone is interested in being brewtube buddies and do exchanges and stuff. Does anyone know how it works here in US to send homebrews in the mail?

- ISM NRP

Send then UPS or Fed-Ex as gassware or yeast samples. It's ileagal in the US mail. The shipping companies don't want to,so you have to lie about what it is. & pad them wel inside bags & pad the inside of the box as well,just incase they get tossed around & break.

Well do you already have anything posted?

And unionrdr, what is your YouTube name. I have always found you to have knowledgable input on hbt, would enjoy watching your videos

Nothing posted yet. I just finished my certification for a new job and hopefully I'm the coming weeks when things get a little more stable I'll start posting some stuff

- ISM NRP

I love watching brewing videos on youtube, and especially look forward to Wednesdays because of this. I'll generally come back and watch more, but here's a few things I dislike:

- Long intro graphics that have your name/handle, etc. I can read your youtube name under the video...I don't need to be reminded of who you are. Plus, it's not TV there's no need for credits or anything. You know how annoying it is to have to skip the first minute of a video and wait for youtube to reload everything? Just keep things simple.

- Annoying or loud music. I absolutely hate it when people want to show off their musical taste, personal band, etc. We both brew...that's what we have in common. Keep that stuff to a separate video section if you want, but that's the #1 thing that keeps me away from certain videos (usually it's in the intro).

- Asking me to like, favorite, whatever. I don't even have a youtube account...it's just annoying. If people want to add you I'm sure they know how to do it without your asking.

- The whole "public service announcement", "warning", or letting people know "this isn't the only way to do this." You don't have to tell me every freaking time you do something that it's dangerous, or that there's different ways to do it, etc. It consumes too much time in the video. If you want to put a warning up like "this is only for people who are of a legal drinking age yada yada" keep it to the comment area!

- Keep your camera eye level. There's nothing appealing about looking up a person's nose. Don't have a tripod? That's cool, put it on a shelf or something.

- For the love of all that is holy, please don't do "box opening" videos. You can show the stuff you buy and pair it into a real video without needing to show us how you open a box. I don't know why these are so popular...

- No laugh track...you guys probably already know who I'm talking about...

Here's some stuff I'd like to see more of:

+ Show me some of your gear. Talk about why you chose certain things...who knows I might want to get something new. Even if I don't buy stuff I like to see it.

+ Talk about the recipe a bit, why you're making the beer, what you like about the beer or recipe. I see a lot of people making "how to" videos but most of the time I watch for entertainment. I like to hear about what people enjoy, not just how to do it.

+ Similar to the last part, don't just show the brewing process. Talk a bit. I don't mind people doing a little bit of blogging while brewing if you can call it that.

+ Have fun with it, stay loose!

I love watching brewing videos on youtube, and especially look forward to Wednesdays because of this. I'll generally come back and watch more, but here's a few things I dislike:

- Long intro graphics that have your name/handle, etc. I can read your youtube name under the video...I don't need to be reminded of who you are. Plus, it's not TV there's no need for credits or anything. You know how annoying it is to have to skip the first minute of a video and wait for youtube to reload everything? Just keep things simple.

- Annoying or loud music. I absolutely hate it when people want to show off their musical taste, personal band, etc. We both brew...that's what we have in common. Keep that stuff to a separate video section if you want, but that's the #1 thing that keeps me away from certain videos (usually it's in the intro).

- Asking me to like, favorite, whatever. I don't even have a youtube account...it's just annoying. If people want to add you I'm sure they know how to do it without your asking.

- The whole "public service announcement", "warning", or letting people know "this isn't the only way to do this." You don't have to tell me every freaking time you do something that it's dangerous, or that there's different ways to do it, etc. It consumes too much time in the video. If you want to put a warning up like "this is only for people who are of a legal drinking age yada yada" keep it to the comment area!

- Keep your camera eye level. There's nothing appealing about looking up a person's nose. Don't have a tripod? That's cool, put it on a shelf or something.

- For the love of all that is holy, please don't do "box opening" videos. You can show the stuff you buy and pair it into a real video without needing to show us how you open a box. I don't know why these are so popular...

- No laugh track...you guys probably already know who I'm talking about...

Here's some stuff I'd like to see more of:

+ Show me some of your gear. Talk about why you chose certain things...who knows I might want to get something new. Even if I don't buy stuff I like to see it.

+ Talk about the recipe a bit, why you're making the beer, what you like about the beer or recipe. I see a lot of people making "how to" videos but most of the time I watch for entertainment. I like to hear about what people enjoy, not just how to do it.

+ Similar to the last part, don't just show the brewing process. Talk a bit. I don't mind people doing a little bit of blogging while brewing if you can call it that.

+ Have fun with it, stay loose!

Seems to me if we took everything out of the video as you suggest,just leaving cold,repetitive information,we'd get even fewer views. If it's just boring,monotonal info sharing,people usually click out & watch something else.
I like using credits to ,for instance,tell where I bought whatever's in the video,etc. Not to mention it's legaly sound to claim it as your own production. It may not be TV,but it's virtually the same thing. then there's the adds in the videos,that youtube partners make their money from,besides sheer numbers of viewers.

Seems to me if we took everything out of the video as you suggest,just leaving cold,repetitive information,we'd get even fewer views. If it's just boring,monotonal info sharing,people usually click out & watch something else.
I like using credits to ,for instance,tell where I bought whatever's in the video,etc. Not to mention it's legaly sound to claim it as your own production. It may not be TV,but it's virtually the same thing. then there's the adds in the videos,that youtube partners make their money from,besides sheer numbers of viewers.

Did you even read through my post before quoting it? I said that I wanted the video to be fun, where the person talks about their recipe, tells me about them as a person, and doesn't just make it a boring "how to" video.

I said I didn't want long intros, annoying or loud music, bad camera angles...can you honestly say that you like videos with long intros, loud music, and nose cameras???

I did not say anywhere that I wanted the video to be cold or repetitive. :confused:

Well,actualy...;) it sounds like little or no intro,cut straight to the chase,no music (I gave up on the legal doubletalk there),& stating who you are for those that just see the video & click on it is ok to me. Some don't necessarily look at who made it right away. So humor is ok? Short intro? I like scrolling brief credits that tell where I got things,etc. Nothing extensive.

Well, I do plan for there to be a short intro. Something very simple like Craigtube's. I'm def not planning to post my music choice and force people to listen, but if I happen to have a brew day and play some alt rock in the background, it is what it is and if people chose to not watch because of that I won't be offended.

I plan on my series being information and fun but also laid back. While I don't plan to make one every Wednesday, eventually I'm going to run out of stuff to talk about in much detail. So I'll have to play it safe and pick a couple topics/items/ideas to talk about and have some filler stuff because if I just try to add as much info as I can into an episode, I'll run out of stuff to talk about lol

- ISM NRP

So I'm cringing reading the "DO'S and DONT'S" list. We (at Ale and Metal TV) make videos that we would want to watch. Unfortunately, that means lots of loud music, tons of nose shots and irrelevant jibber jabber after our long intro that flashes our name. Check it out anyways and let us know what you REALLY think. Like home brew sharing. You can't brew better beer if all your friends say you should open your own brewery!

[ame="http://youtu.be/alfs4doeA9w"]http://youtu.be/alfs4doeA9w[/ame]

I watched a few minutes of it. The camera was all shaky making it hard to watch, and the background music made it hard to hear the guy on camera at times. I'm not sure what was going on at 1:40 but I'm going to loop it to keep the squirrels out of my yard. It looks like you guys had fun though, and that's what matters in the end right?

I am a Rookie brewer been about 10 months and I made a very detailed brew video with a few tips but it goes for 1hour 20minutes. Just a kit and kilo style coopers mexican cerveza on you tube. Might be some help. My name is zane maxwell.Cheers.

I watched a few minutes of it. The camera was all shaky making it hard to watch, and the background music made it hard to hear the guy on camera at times. I'm not sure what was going on at 1:40 but I'm going to loop it to keep the squirrels out of my yard. It looks like you guys had fun though, and that's what matters in the end right?
Ya, we are trying to get some lavalier mics to help with the audio. The video has no educational value, but as you said its all about having fun.

P.S. Most animals love METAL so you may end up attracting more squirrels. FYI...:rockin:

Here is a video that we just put up today that may be a little easier to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back