New Brewer - Popped My Pumpkin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bm1981

Reaction score
Long time lurker, First time poster and brewer.

Last Thursday I decided to make my first brew a Pumpkin Milk Stout- a simple recipe ready in 5 weeks.

36 hours into my first batch fermenting, I went downstairs to grab a beer and I hear a hissing sound. Looks like the batch started to really ferment violently as the 3 piece airlock was full of karusen. The foamy mess was clogging the small holes in the airlock not allowing enough pressure to be released and the lid of the bucket had a pronounced bow to it. I decided to bleed the pressure by opening the top cap of the airlock but not removing it. Just in case I gently move the bucket into the slop sink.

20 minutes later I hear it... pop! I rush into the basement to see not only had the lid blown off but the foam and wort/new beer was all over the ceiling, washer, dryer, laundry, and anything else within the blast radius....I mush have missed that chapter in the books. I put the lid back on as it landed clean side up.

Now the airlock is fully brown and gummed up w/ foam, I decide to use a new clean airlock that I fill with vodka ( I read that was ok in a pinch somewhere) because I don't have any sanitized water handy. 10 minutes after that the krausen and foam was back in the airlock. I mix up a small batch of sanitizer as I sense I'm loosing this battle. I filled the sink with cold water to bring the temp down, my thermometer had the air temp at 72* which seems high as it was in my basement in a closet in the dark.

The airlocks keep clogging and I don't have hose/growler to make a blow off hose. The only think that I could think of was to sanitize a solo cup and put that over the airlock with the top piece removed. The airlock was now the large piece that went into the bucket and the float, covered by the solo cup. The reason why i did this was it allowed the airlock to remain functional and sealed but allowed the foam to leave the airlock w/o clogging up the cap. The solo cup kept the float below the water, without it the force of the foam pushed the float up and out of the airlock..... I was thinking on my feet the foam was like a science project volcano gone wrong.

I needed to leave the house for 36 hours, so I left it sitting in my sink like this not knowing what I'd come home to. Upon my return everything calmed down. I put on another cleaned and sanitized airlock and the batch is bubbling normally with no foam shooting up and out.

Lets see what happens next week when its time for bottling, maybe by some miracle this thing won't be infected or ruined.

Either way I'm moving to the blow off tube for my next batch.

I have a big raspberry wheat beer i brewed a couple months blow the lid off of my bucket, haven't used an airlock at beginning of fermentation since. I usually always use one now. You can use a tube for the first couple days (4-5) when fermentation is active and then replace it with an airlock. Also look into putting your bucket in a temp. controller fridge or make a swamp cooler to keep your beer at the proper temperature. Don't quote me on this but I think that if your air temp was 72 by itself, since your fermentation was active your beer was probably a lot warmer than 72 if you had no methods of keeping it temp. controlled.

Use the sink as a swamp cooler to keep the temperature of the wort a bit lower. The wort being at a lower temperature will stop the explosive initial active fermentation. At an ambient temperature of 72° the wort temperature may have been 4° to 8° higher. Off flavors can also result from hot fermentations besides the over active fermentation.

Look up the optimum fermentation temperature for the yeast, or any other yeast you will use. You may need bottles of ice to further cool your water bath if your tap water is not cold enough.

Make sure your bucket is large enough to hold a normal krausen from reaching the air lock. This will stop the lid popping also.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410279260.322844.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1410279272.561832.jpg

Proof that it happened, the first one was taken after I wiped the ceiling but you can see the spots, as well as all over the washer and white walls

My first brew almost ended in a blowout, but I caught it in time. It was a Two Hearted clone and I had it in my 5 gallon carboy (No headspace, I didn't know any better.) The day after brewing, I came home from work and saw the foam had filled the airlock and was coming out the little holes on the cap. I quickly removed the airlock and shoved a hose into the bunghole (hehe) and filled a 1/2 gallon jug about halfway with iosan water. That definitely did the trick, and after about 4 days I put the airlock back on it.

Since then, I've gotten a couple 6.5 gallon buckets and use those as primaries and there seems to be plenty of head space. I haven't needed to use a blowoff hose since the 1st time.

I had a blow out a couple weeks ago. I didn't have to mop the ceiling! That's because the fermenter was under the table. So I had to clean the under side of a table...

Back