New brewer PNW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeycb

Reaction score
Hey Im just starting to get into full on brewing in the Seattle area. I've done about 3 batches using extracts. I've invested the money into some equipment and plan on stepping it up and do all grain brewing.

photo (1).jpg

photo.jpg

Welcome to HBT! Where at in the Seattle area are you? My girlfriend lives in Woodinville. We did some sampling last weekend up there, went to Dirty Bucket, Big Time, Reuben's and NW Peaks. Dirty Bucket has a great Black IPA on tap right now and Big Time had a phenomenal stout and barleywine on tap. Great beers up there. Cheers!

I'm in the Ballard area. I recommend black raven brewery and hilliards. I think those are my two favorite now.

Welcome! I'm your neighbor just up in Greenwood. There is a great community of brewers around here, and some fantastic opportunities to make good beer. Let me know if there is any thing I can do to help as you make the leap to all grain.

Welcome! I'm your neighbor just up in Greenwood. There is a great community of brewers around here, and some fantastic opportunities to make good beer. Let me know if there is any thing I can do to help as you make the leap to all grain.

Thanks! My two friends and I brew together and we are all pretty new. I'm waiting on my friend to buy the ingredients for the next batch. If there is any tips on doing a all grain batch for a first timer please let me know.

You could read all day and night on that subject here on HBT. If I were you I'd take a quick read through the chapter on Brewing your first All-Grain Beer in John Palmer's outstanding book (available free online at that link) and dive in.

It would be worth your while to calculate the water volumes and temperatures for the mash and sparges beforehand, so you know what you are shooting for. A tool like beersmith (which I use) is great for this, but you can do it for free online with a tool like this.

Most of all, accept that it'll take a few runs on the new system to get the process really dialed in. If you mash in and your temps are off by a few degrees, or your gravity is a bit low, it's no worries at all.. just make the adjustments and have fun.

You're going to make some great beer on that rig!

BTW, which shop are you going to? There are several good ones in the area, but if you are getting into all grain brewing I highly recomend the Cellar Homebrew on Greenwood ave. Their grain card program makes grain prices very reasonable.

I'm down in Covington. I've been going to Larry's in kent for years. Before that I was being greatly overcharged at the mountain homebrew store in Kirkland. Currently looking for local brewers to do beer exchanges with. 6packs or growlers or whatever. Going to jump into 10 gallon batches soon and would be nice to find somebody close to consistently swap 5 gallons with on brew day.

Back