New brewer in NJ needs help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timalston1021

Reaction score
Hi Guys! I'm new to home brewing and I need some help in the fermentation stage. I brewed a Brewers Best English Brown Ale last Sunday 7/22 and all seemed to go well. I brought my brew to my basement to ferment and my basement is anywhere between 60-65 degrees. The "bubbles" coming from the airlock were going good starting on Monday, however they stopped on Wed of this week, any suggestions? Is this too cold? Should I take my FG reading today and if okay, start bottling?

That doesn't sound odd. It's not uncommon for most of the fermentation to take place in only a few days. After that, the bubbles may only happen once a minute. Let it do it's thing. Sounds like you're in good shape.

I brewed a Brewers Best English Brown Ale last Sunday 7/22 . . . any suggestions? Is this too cold? Should I take my FG reading today and if okay, start bottling?
Everything sounds normal. Six days is a little soon to be taking a reading in this case, but if you pay attention to sanitation, won't hurt. Being that you're new to brewing, I'd guess that this beer would be better off with more time before doing anything.

I've had active fermentations that lasted about 3 days and others that lasted about 10 days. For most ale yeasts you would have to hold below 60 degrees F to make the yeast go dormant.

A lot of people ferment for 4 weeks + and others say 3 days at FG then bottle. I opt for the middle on most of my beers and wait 3 weeks in primary then bottle.

Bubbling only means that the beer is off gassing CO2. Gravity readings are the only way to tell if your beer is ready for bottling.

Thanks for all the advice! I will sit tight for another week or more before the FG test and go from there.

Back