New brewer here.. did i mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lacbrew

Reaction score
Ok, so I ordered a "California Steam" kit from midwestsupplies to brew my first beer. Followed the kit instructions, and everything seemed to be okay... until I pitched the yeast.

Being a noob, I pitched the california lager activator liquid wyeast directly into the wort without a starter. Also, it is a hot summer and I'm concerned about the viability of the yeast after shipping. I slapped the pack 3 hours before brewing and couldn't really tell if it swelled at all.

There has been no activity after the first 40 some hours of sitting in the primary. After reading this forum and soaking up as much info as possible, I see that it could take up to 72 hours to start fermenting. But, I also now realized that since I didn't use a starter, I seriously under pitched this thing, and am worried that I will not get any activity within this time frame.

My kit also shipped with a saflager-23 dry yeast, and I am considering pitching this in if I don't see any activity/gravity change after 72 hours. However, it recommends a colder temp for this yeast than I can provide (I can keep it down to 66 F, but maybe lower if I surround with ice).

Would it be a bad idea to pitch this yeast if I see no activity, or should I go out and buy an ale yeast? Or, am I being too impatient with the wyeast strain and should I allow more than 72 hours because I didn't use a starter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've never pitched with a starter. As long as the wort was under 80 when you pitched, you should have beer when you're done. (some people say even under 90)

I'm a newb too, so don't take it as gospel, but I've brewed about 7 great batches so far with no starter. RDWHAHB

I pitched at exactly 80. Did your batches have any airlock activity?

Also, I wish I could RDWHAHB... but as this is my first attempt, I am severely lacking in the HB department :(

Eh, for the most part yes, but I've got a certain fermenter that never shows any activity.

Instead of drinking a homebrew, start checking out the singles section at your grocery store. I buy beer styles I've never had, or something with a witty name. I didn't think I liked hoppy beers, but I'm starting to really like Laguitas Lucky 13. It was one of those random buys that has turned me on to a whole new world.

Keep your temps stable and low, carboy out of the sun, and you'll make beer. Probably good beer!

You're not alone... :) I pitched my yeast at 78 with no starter and didn't see activity for 72 hours. Finally, I came home from work and BOOM it was bubblin' away. Now I'm a couple batches in, don't use starters and all is well. Btw... I'm a pastry chef and I hardly use starters in my bread, just kind of bank on the yeast to do their job lol :)

Even though the pack on the activator pack said not to use a starter....I did and my brew took off immediately. But you sound like most of these threads. Sit back and relax it will take care of itself. Reading these forums have brought me two things; a wealth of knowledge, and paranoia. I can sympathize with you, after reading about actual and people who think they have infected batches, dead yeast, bottle bombs, and etc. I was freaking out during my first brew and for the month it was fermenting. But considering how well my first batch went with the amount of things that I have done that were potentially "wrong", I feel that a brew is a lot harder to screw up than you'd think.

If beer making is as hard or full of perils as some of these threads would make you believe we probably would not have beer, as brewers would have died fast from the effects of paranoia induced stress.

Ok, so I ordered a "California Steam" kit from midwestsupplies to brew my first beer. Followed the kit instructions, and everything seemed to be okay... until I pitched the yeast.

Being a noob, I pitched the california lager activator liquid wyeast directly into the wort without a starter. Also, it is a hot summer and I'm concerned about the viability of the yeast after shipping. I slapped the pack 3 hours before brewing and couldn't really tell if it swelled at all.

There has been no activity after the first 40 some hours of sitting in the primary. After reading this forum and soaking up as much info as possible, I see that it could take up to 72 hours to start fermenting. But, I also now realized that since I didn't use a starter, I seriously under pitched this thing, and am worried that I will not get any activity within this time frame.

My kit also shipped with a saflager-23 dry yeast, and I am considering pitching this in if I don't see any activity/gravity change after 72 hours. However, it recommends a colder temp for this yeast than I can provide (I can keep it down to 66 F, but maybe lower if I surround with ice).

Would it be a bad idea to pitch this yeast if I see no activity, or should I go out and buy an ale yeast? Or, am I being too impatient with the wyeast strain and should I allow more than 72 hours because I didn't use a starter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

i never use a starter on dry (laziness); always on a liquid. if it hasn't started bubbling after 24 hrs , it probably ain't gonna. s-23 on a steam. tho? weird choice. anyway, yes, i'd repitch

Just for future reference, use a starter with liquid yeast. It's a free insurance policy that guarantees a good fermentation every time.

Maybe I missed it, but are you fermenting in a bucket or carboy? My buckets rarely show activity mostly because I can't get the things to seal up completely. One worked great on the first beer in it, the second beer it wouldn't keep a seal. Still made good beer and didn't know about starters at the time.

If you don't want to make a starter and you do want to use liquid yeast, I've *heard* that pitching an extra pack of yeast could help prevent these problems (slow ferms, stuck ferms, yeast-stress-flavors, etc.).

At $7.50 a pack for some types, that's not a cheap option. ;)

As for me, I pretty much stick to dry yeast. I'm sure I'll try liquid yeast eventually.

I don't think anyone else advised this, so I will. I know it takes a lot of patience, but to further prevent any off-flavors, try to pitch as close to ideal fermentation temperatures as possible, if not maybe even a few degrees lower ideally. The higher temp the yeast starts at, the higher temps fermentation will reach, and the more they're going to produce all sorts of unwanted things. You may also kill off a few at higher temps, though 80F isn't TOO bad (in terms of killing yeast).

Thanks for all the support, your comments definitely helped me relax a little bit. But, what really put me at ease is that I woke up this morning to find.... BUBBLES popping out of the airlock! :D

I am using a typical brew bucket, which seems to have a good seal.. although when I tried to put the airlock in after adding the yeast, the little rubber bung in the plastic lid popped off into the brew and I couldn't fish it out! I definitely freaked out a little about that. After fitting some saran wrap around the airlock, it at least seemed to be airtight.

I do also have a 5 gal carboy, and am considering fermenting in this next time, so at the very least I can SEE the beer while it ferments. And, while I'm sure the bucket is as clean as anything after sanitization, the carboy just seems cleaner to me..

Well, I guess all there is to do is wait...about one week from now if my understanding is correct?

Thanks for all the support, your comments definitely helped me relax a little bit. But, what really put me at ease is that I woke up this morning to find.... BUBBLES popping out of the airlock! :D

I am using a typical brew bucket, which seems to have a good seal.. although when I tried to put the airlock in after adding the yeast, the little rubber bung in the plastic lid popped off into the brew and I couldn't fish it out! I definitely freaked out a little about that. After fitting some saran wrap around the airlock, it at least seemed to be airtight.

I do also have a 5 gal carboy, and am considering fermenting in this next time, so at the very least I can SEE the beer while it ferments. And, while I'm sure the bucket is as clean as anything after sanitization, the carboy just seems cleaner to me..

Well, I guess all there is to do is wait...about one week from now if my understanding is correct?

I am not an Expert brewer,

But the only way you will know that your fermentation is done is with a Hydrometer, after you have reached the gravity that you want, you should wait at least one more week so the yeast can "clean house".

Yes I will admit that the fermentation is done when the hydrometer says so, but the yeast are still working. When they are done the politely go to sleep on the bottom of the fermenter, leaving you a quality product.

Again I am not an expert brewer, and my word is not gospel.

I am just sharing what works for me!

Back