New brewer here, bottling questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsmitty

Reaction score
Hey guys, im new to the brewing scene and will be doing my first extract brew this weekend. My question is what is the proccess for bottling?? I have priming sugar but when do i add it? how do i add it? and does it matter what size bottles i use? i have about 30 or so 12 oz bottles and 4 growlers i want to use with this 5 gallon batch im gonna be doing. Do i move beer from primary fermentor into i bucket (secondary) and mix the priming sugar in right before i begin to bottle?? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Take 2 cups of water and your sugar, boil it to dissolve the sugar. Pour this into your botteling bucket. Rack your wort onto the sugar, if you use a siphon tube, or spigot with tubing to transfer, then your wort will mix evenly with the sugar. Then bottle the combined wort and sugar.:fro:

ok thanks, so when u say rack the wort onto the sugar, do u mean use a siphon tube or spigot with tubing to pour the wort onto the mixed sugar and water? i dont stir or anything? is the wort still at fermenting temp? sugar mixture hot?

ok thanks, so when u say rack the wort onto the sugar, do u mean use a siphon tube or spigot with tubing to pour the wort onto the mixed sugar and water? i dont stir or anything? is the wort still at fermenting temp? sugar mixture hot?

Yes, exactly, although I always stirred gently as well just to be safe. The sugar mixture doesn't need to be as cool as the beer, the important thing is to make sure it isn't hotter than your bottling bucket is rated for. The beer will cool it off extremely quickly when you transfer.

Racking , means to take just the beer off the top, leaving the yeast cake and other items that have fallen out of the beer and collected on the bottom behind.

Primary to secondary or bottling bucket.. For most of us that means siphoning the beer.

You do not want to pour into your bottling bucket as it can cause aeration, ..O2 exposure oxidizes the beer and causes off favors

18 – In a small saucepan, dissolve the bag of priming sugar into 2 cups of boiling water for 5 minutes. Pour the mixture into the beer and stir with the sanitized stirring spoon for 1 minute. Some people prefer to siphon (or rack back) the beer back into another container to make sure that the sugar is mixed properly.

19 – The auto siphon can now be attached to the sanitized bottle filler (bottle wand). The 5 gallon volume (640oz) should fill approximately fifty-two 12oz bottles, forty 16oz pint bottles, thirty 22oz bottles, or twenty 32oz quart bottles. 20 – Store at room temperature (650-750 F), for 2 to 3 weeks to allow for the carbonation process. The newly bottled beer will look cloudy, even in a dark amber-colored beer bottle. After the beer turns clear, the carbonation process is complete.

20 – Store at room temperature (65-75 F), for 2 to 3 weeks or more to allow for the carbonation process to complete. If stored in too cool an area (esp. a fridge), the carbonation process may never complete. The newly bottled beer will look cloudy, even in a dark amber-colored beer bottle. After the beer turns clear, the carbonation process is complete.

Back