New brewer greetings from Memphis, home of the Blues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TennBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have returned to brewing beer after a long absence. I grew up in Wisconsin which is famous for beer, among other things. I brewed beer from extracts back in the late '70s and things have really changed since the Carter administration. I started out brewing a batch of TrueBrew Amber ale and opened the first bottle today after two weeks of conditioning. I think it needs another week because the the carbonation is a bit weak due to the weather which has turned quite cold for this area. It's not bad but I think it could be better. Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun getting back into brewing (my father ran a bar up in Wausau for many years so I've been well-conditioned in the family tradition). I've got another batch going right now which is a nut brown ale from an extract with specialty grains added, which I'm pretty excited about and can't wait to finish. I used a liquid British Ale Yeast (Wyeast) rather than the dry packet yeast that came with the kit and I'm hoping to get something close to Newcastle (my favorite).

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

I let my bottles carb for 3-4 weeks, so I don't drink too much when it's not ready!

Excellent and welcome back!

One of my uncles tells me stories about what it was like brewing back in the 60's and 70's. Said there was a lot of liquid malt extract and not a lot of hops!

He told me a funny story about the first time he used Hallauter hops and his father in law called the beer exotic! :rockin:

Anyhow, welcome to the group from CT!

Cheers!

Welcome to the hobby, and the group, from CO :mug:

I let my bottles carb for 3-4 weeks, so I don't drink too much when it's not ready!

The temperature in the area used for conditioning dropped down past 60 degrees so I moved everything to a slightly warmer location. I figured the cooler temperature slowed down the conditioning. After a few days (nearly 3 weeks conditioning) I tried another bottle. It was better and seemed to have a normal amount of carbonation, it also poured a pretty nice head, too! Now I am enjoying my first batch and have another batch of Nut Brown Ale I bottled up yesterday. You're right about drinking too much before it's ready, mine seems ready now and I do enjoy it regularly. Cheers!
(Slainte)

Dang, now you have me dreaming about Rendezvous and Corky's, with a Flying Saucer stop after of course.

Latest posts

Back