New Brewer, Center City Philadelphia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwplessner

Reaction score
Now this is a great place to start the hobby, two LHBS within walking distance. Still the additional help from this site got me through my first three batches, the first of which I tasted carbed tonight. It's an awesome but still green american amber.

I hope I can give back at least what I've gotten, which includes the popular CCA recipe along with the full experience: two pints of magma through the blowoff tube. I've got no room for an AG setup, but I'll try to be content with partial mash--first attempt next saturday along with two other brew buddies.

Note to other apartment brewers, I don't think I'll ever consider a lease without making sure there's a stove with an extra awesome burner. I got lucky with this one, free fuel in the apartment and it can handle a 5 gallon boil.

See you out there, thanks for the advice.

Yep, even with startup costs brewing is saving me loads by keeping me out of monks, foodery, and resurrection, just to name a few.

Philly noob here as well. What's your go to place in the area? I've read mixed things about the places in Philly and have made purchases elsewhere just because I travel the area for work daily and swing into places.

Barry's and HSHB are all I know, but they're a couple of my favorite shops in the city. Owners are really laid back at both and always willing to help. I was wondering why both were so messy until I started brewing; now my apartment is starting to look like their shops!

Usually Barry's (South Philly) is a little cheaper, but I tend to go to HSHB because it's central to work, home, friends, etc. They've had everything I need so far, plus a bunch of stuff I don't need but bought anyway.

Another Philly Brewer here. i also frequent barry's, who has always been awesome. ... I've never been to HSHB, but have been meaning to check that place out.

I had philly cream cheese in a taco and was drinking a homebrewt once.

toolbox, the plot to fresh prince is a lot cooler if it rhymes

hatboro's a good place, had some fun late nights at a little irish dive off byberry, can't remember the name of it. towey's, maybe? man, that place was gross.

Hello from Delaware.

I have not been to any LHBS in Philly, but I have frequented Monks, Yards, and Mahogany Cigar Bar.

Back