New brewer always getting higher than expected OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliNewb

Reaction score
Hello guys and gals,
I've been 10 points over my projected OG 2 times now and I think I've messed something up this time by only using one sachet of us-04 (OG is 1.080). I rehydrated my yeast, first time doing that, but I'm still worried.
What should I do?

Thanks

ok for me, again for me when i brew a beer over 1.050 I will make a starter or 2 packets of dry rehydrated. your at 1.080 so i might do a two step starter or 3 packs of yeast. check out mrmalty.com or yeastcalculator.com for making starters.
what styles are you brewing?
cheers

Hi, I'm doing a mosaic ipa kit from northern brewer. Its only supposed to be 1.070 OG and the instructions say only 1 packet is needed. I have 2 more though...

Relax, don’t worry. Have a home brew.

That gravity though would benefit from more yeast. Add another pack for peace of mind. Better to ovet pitch then under pitch.

Are you sure you are actually getting higher OG? Are you brewing extract or AG? Are you taking gravity readings hot? Is your hydrometer off?

Haha, I forgot the homebrewers motto!

I pitched 12 hrs ago and it was my understanding that us-04 was "fast and furious", and there was zero activity. So I pitched one more pack, we'll see what happens!
Relax, don’t worry. Have a home brew.

That gravity though would benefit from more yeast. Add another pack for peace of mind. Better to ovet pitch then under pitch]

Last edited:
Are you sure you are actually getting higher OG? Are you brewing extract or AG? Are you taking gravity readings hot? Is your hydrometer off?
My hydro checked out in plain water, so I'm sure it's working

I'm took my OG a little above what my hydro is supposed to read at, but I used one of those handy dandy online calculators to fix that.

I am brewing extract, northern brewer mosaic ipa kit.

I am brewing extract, northern brewer mosaic ipa kit.

With extract, if you use the correct amount of water you got the OG the kit calls for. The big problem is that the concentrated extract doesn't mix well with the top off water. Sometimes your sample will have more of the concentrated wort and your hydrometer shows a higher OG, sometimes you get more water than extract and your OG shows low (this is more often). For this reason I suggest that extract brewers forget taking the OG and just go with what the kit says.

One package of S-04 would have been plenty for the beer you are making. It takes some time for the yeast to multiply before you see results, often not showing activity for 24 to 36 hours. With 2 packets you may get a more vigorous fermentation so be prepared for wort in the airlock or the lid blowing off the fermenter. Avoid this by making a blowoff tube.

I just got the All grain version of that Mosaic IPA myself,might brew that next weekend.
What temp are you fermenting at?
do you do a full boil or partial boil?
as RM-MN said extract doesn't mix well with the top off, I found that out when i started out as well.
but once i started full boils that changed.

With extract, if you use the correct amount of water you got the OG the kit calls for. The big problem is that the concentrated extract doesn't mix well with the top off water. Sometimes your sample will have more of the concentrated wort and your hydrometer shows a higher OG, sometimes you get more water than extract and your OG shows low (this is more often). For this reason I suggest that extract brewers forget taking the OG and just go with what the kit says.

One package of S-04 would have been plenty for the beer you are making. It takes some time for the yeast to multiply before you see results, often not showing activity for 24 to 36 hours. With 2 packets you may get a more vigorous fermentation so be prepared for wort in the airlock or the lid blowing off the fermenter. Avoid this by making a blowoff tube.

Ahh, that would explain why my readings have been so off, I wouldn't have thought of that.
I'll make sure to put a blow off on right now.

Thanks!

Might take a bit for S-04 to get going but once it goes it's a beast. It will generate a lot of heat too . Keep an eye on your temp.

I'd easily do 1.080 with one pack of S-04.

All the Best,
D. White

Aren’t hydrometers supposed to be calibrated in 60*f distilled water? If it reads 1.000, you’re good to go, it say if it reads 1.010, you know you have to subtract 10 points when taking OG readings.

Might take a bit for S-04 to get going but once it goes it's a beast. It will generate a lot of heat too . Keep an eye on your temp.

I'd easily do 1.080 with one pack of S-04.

All the Best,
D. White

Hi D,

It's been going 2 days now, strong bubbles and a SG of 1.034. Does that sound like I'm on the right track?

I've got it in my ferm chamber at 66 (probe under styrofoam on the side of the fermentor).

It did have what I thought was a stronger alcohol smell than what I remember from my last batches. Thoughts? I pitched at 68 fwiw.

Thanks

Sounds like everything is moving along like it should. This should be good beer!

Pitching temp was fine.

You have a big beer going. You're probably going to smell a little extra alcohol.

All the Best,
D. White

Latest posts

Back