New Brew Software!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitesoup12

Reaction score
Hello all! Would like to let everyone know about a new webapp I've created for homebrewing! It's in beta testing, so a password is required to get in since I'm trying to limit the amount of traffic to the site. Would like to have some brewers check it out and provide some feedback (either here or through the app). If you would like the password, let me know!

Website is http://www.lubberwortbrewing.com!

I'm happy to take a look. I'm all about the numbers and the brew day process, so I'd love to have a go. PM me if you wish.

I'm a developer by trade so I might be able to provide some feedback/testing. However, I am prone to usually find the happy path.

Coding software to run the HVAC in high rise buildings has been getting boring lately, I'll give it a shot.

Funny how many computer nerds are into brewing!

I would like to run through a couple of my recipes to see how they match up with the method I've been using.

Not sure where you want the responses (here or email), but first off,
1) A way to edit your input if you need to change it, not just delete and retype everything.
2) When choosing Dry Hops, change the time to days.

Last edited:
Not sure where you want the responses (here or email), but first off, a way to edit your input if you need to change it, not just delete and retype everything.

Yes, that's next on my list. Even I find it cumbersome. And you can submit things through the Feature Request or Issue links. I can keep track of it better that way.

Couple things I noticed. Perhaps a text input filter on the top of the dialog box for the drop down selection to help filter down. While it's easy for the extracts, it might be nice to be able to type in "Choco" and reduce the huge list of grains down to 3-4.

Overall, the styling of the dialog boxes could be a bit smaller and tighter. Mine also seems to extend to the very bottom of the screen and is fairly narrow. Width wouldn't be in issue with smaller text.

Couldn't tell, but can I save a recipe yet? It didn't seem to let me when I tried.

Is the SRM/Gravity/ABV working yet? It didn't seem to for me, but could be because I couldn't save.

Otherwise, great start.

I think a filter is a good idea. And to save a recipe you can go into the menu and click Generate BeerXML. I have it worded that way because I'll soon provide a way to save the recipe within the site after it opens. The BeerXML allows you too be recipes over from other software. As far as the batch stats, certain things are needed first. You have to have the batch volume, boil volume, boil time, efficiency, and at least 1 fermentable. For IBU, all those are required as well as at least one hop. Thanks for the feedback!

I think a filter is a good idea. And to save a recipe you can go into the menu and click Generate BeerXML. I have it worded that way because I'll soon provide a way to save the recipe within the site after it opens. The BeerXML allows you too be recipes over from other software. As far as the batch stats, certain things are needed first. You have to have the batch volume, boil volume, boil time, efficiency, and at least 1 fermentable. For IBU, all those are required as well as at least one hop. Thanks for the feedback!

I'll try again. I entered in my full stout recipe and didn't seem to generate any estimates.

The site has now been updated to allow user accounts! In order to access it you will need to create a new account and can log in with that account from now on.

I feel like there may be something about the IBU calculations that don't match what I'm used to. For instance, on a 90 minute boil using various amounts of Strisselspalt should yield proportionate IBU contributions if the amounts are equal. In other words, 0.5 oz should yield twice the IBUs of 0.25 oz; and 1.0 oz should yield twice the IBUs as 0.5 oz; however, this is not what I'm experiencing. Below is an example of what I'm seeing, and you can see that the IBU contributions see to be exponential as opposed to linear:

-0.25 = 1.3 IBU
-0.50 = 5.2 IBUs
-0.75 = 11.7 IBUs
-1.00 = 20.9 IBUS

I feel like there may be something about the IBU calculations that don't match what I'm used to. For instance, on a 90 minute boil using various amounts of Strisselspalt should yield proportionate IBU contributions if the amounts are equal. In other words, 0.5 oz should yield twice the IBUs of 0.25 oz; and 1.0 oz should yield twice the IBUs as 0.5 oz; however, this is not what I'm experiencing. Below is an example of what I'm seeing, and you can see that the IBU contributions see to be exponential as opposed to linear:

-0.25 = 1.3 IBU
-0.50 = 5.2 IBUs
-0.75 = 11.7 IBUs
-1.00 = 20.9 IBUS

Yeah, I don't think that's right. I think it's an issue with my utilization calculation. I'll get this fixed. But so I don't forget, can you send it through the Report an Issue link?

Joined, like it, nice and clean.

Sent a request to expand the beer styles, brewing and American Wheat in 2 weeks, could not find it on the style drop down
Also, to add user input for mash thickness

Other than that, I really like how clean it is

T

Joined, like it, nice and clean.

Sent a request to expand the beer styles, brewing and American Wheat in 2 weeks, could not find it on the style drop down
Also, to add user input for mash thickness

Other than that, I really like how clean it is

T

There actually is an American Wheat/Rye style under Light Hybrid Beer. These are the styles according to BJCP and should be updated with the latest information. I have added a mash thickness as well.

-0.25 = 1.3 IBU
-0.50 = 5.2 IBUs
-0.75 = 11.7 IBUs
-1.00 = 20.9 IBUS

The IBU calculations have been fixed. Turns out I was calculation the AAU twice (hop AA * hop amount).

Have you had any luck yet? Try opening the link and pressing Ctrl+F5. Keep me posted!

No luck, I id open it on my iPhone, but I can't on my mac nw that I am home.

Can you post an updated link maybe....

Tim

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at www.lubberwortbrewing.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as ww.example.com instead of www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

From what I can tell this is probably a DNS issue on your MAC. If you're using wireless internet, try removing or forgetting your wireless network and connect back again. This can sometimes correct DNS issues. If that doesn't work, you may want to do a Google search for ways to correct your DNS.

I apologize you're having issues with it! Wish it was something I could troubleshoot from here...

Okay, so I had the same problem on my tablet. I removed my network, reconnected, cleared my cache, and then it worked.

Since I moved to a new server the DNS changed. Some DNS changes can take up to 24 hours to completely finish so it could be that. Just not sure why it's only your Mac that isn't working.

cool, I will keep troubleshooting
and I will go get my lap from the brew shed and try from there

Not working on my phone or iPad on my network either...will give it overnight to update and see in the morning

Just so you know, it's working on both my desktop and mobile. No server or dns issues here.

However, I have noticed an issue with saving and opening a recipe. My half increments turned into while increments.

Thanks for letting me know! What is it that changed? I think the one I noticed was the mash thickness.

Awesome! If you need anything else let me know.

And to all other posters/LB members... If you have any issues with the site and are able to use the Report an Issue link, I recommend using that as opposed to the forum. It's much easier for me to keep track of issues and requests using my system.

If you have an issue with the site and you can't get to the issue link, you can send an email directly to [email protected]. I'll also be adding the Report and Issue link to the login screen so that can be used if anyone has problems logging in.

Thanks and Happy Brewing!

Back