New BIAB False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The next batch will be 13" and 17.5" given the following:

For the 13" one:
Bayou 1310 13.25"
Bayou 1430 13.5"
Blich 10g 13.5"
Amcyl 10g 13.5"
Megapot 1.2 10 14"
Spike 10g 13.8"

For the 17.5" one:
Blich 20 17.75"
Megapot 1.2 20 17.7
Bayou 20 and 25g 18.5"
Spike 20g 17.7"

If you think I'm missing out on a crucial pot, please let me know. Keep in mind that these don't have to fit very tight. I think they can be used in a kettle up to 1.5" larger than the meshFB without any issue.
I

I would like a 12" model, please!
For the Bayou Classic 6/6.5g? pot

I'm curious if people have had good luck with the "pizza pan" style false bottoms? I tried one and found that between my fine grind and steelhead pump it crushed the pan. I bought a perforated false bottom form NorCal Brewing. The thing is a tank and has held up well.

I've been working on overcoming the stuck mash problem. I've opened the gap on my mill, which helped. My next step is to make up a conical bag in hopes that it can act more like the rigid mesh baskets people have been using.

That's what the mostly open design is meant to fix. Whatever you use, where the bag lays on a flat surface it just isn't flowing there. I think something as simple as laying a few metal skewers across the false bottom would help.

That's what the mostly open design is meant to fix. Whatever you use, where the bag lays on a flat surface it just isn't flowing there. I think something as simple as laying a few metal skewers across the false bottom would help.

That didn't work for me. Mine was an open mesh pizza pan. Post #7 of this thread has a picture.

I think a basket would solve these issues.

On my new system I have the Spike 20 gallon kettle. The smaller 14.75" screen will fit perfectly in the smaller diameter bottom.

Since I will be using a basket there will be no worry of the bag getting sucked down during the recirculation.

This is why I went with a basket instead of a bag.

The baskets are overpriced to say the least. I paid $200 for a 16" diameter and 15" tall basket.

If someone knew of someone that could make these, the cost would go down significantly. They're making a killing on these things to say the least.

The basket was half the price of my custom Spike kettle! Can you say rip off?

For the 13" one:
Bayou 1310 13.25"
Bayou 1430 13.5"
Blich 10g 13.5"
Amcyl 10g 13.5"
Megapot 1.2 10 14"
Spike 10g 13.8"

For the 17.5" one:
Blich 20 17.75"
Megapot 1.2 20 17.7
Bayou 20 and 25g 18.5"
Spike 20g 17.7"

If you think I'm missing out on a crucial pot, please let me know. Keep in mind that these don't have to fit very tight. I think they can be used in a kettle up to 1.5" larger than the meshFB without any issue.
I

Sweet so the 1444 (13.5" diameter) will be fine with a 13" model? If so when will it be available?

I have this false bottom for my 15g MegaPot. There is a small gap about 1" around the side which has no functional effect. The middle support post does not interfere with the ripple element. Consider me a happy customer; I'm very pleased with this false bottom.

For the 13" one:
Bayou 1310 13.25"
Bayou 1430 13.5"
Blich 10g 13.5"
Amcyl 10g 13.5"
Megapot 1.2 10 14"
Spike 10g 13.8"

For the 17.5" one:
Blich 20 17.75"
Megapot 1.2 20 17.7
Bayou 20 and 25g 18.5"
Spike 20g 17.7"

I

Hey Bobby hows the time frame look for the new sizes? I'm anxious to get my hands on the 17.5" and ditch my pizza tin

hi, two questions:
1) how can I order an extra set of screws with the false bottom, so I have 3.5 and 2 inch on hand?

2) I saw a comment on the product page by someone saying that on theirs, the screw legs bent at the nut/fittings location where they attach to the screen, due to the weight of their grain bag. Has anyone else experienced that? does it work fine for say, up 40lb of grain (as long as you don't do something silly like drain the kettle with the grain bag + water weight still sitting on it)?

hi, two questions:
1) how can I order an extra set of screws with the false bottom, so I have 3.5 and 2 inch on hand?

2) I saw a comment on the product page by someone saying that on theirs, the screw legs bent at the nut/fittings location where they attach to the screen, due to the weight of their grain bag. Has anyone else experienced that? does it work fine for say, up 40lb of grain (as long as you don't do something silly like drain the kettle with the grain bag + water weight still sitting on it)?

I'm going to be doing a 37 lb grain bill next month. I'll let you know, but hopefully you'll get an answer before then.

Just to chime in with an update, I've used mine twice now. Getting better recirculation than I ever have. Great product, and now brew days are more relaxed because I'm not paranoid about pulling the wort level down and dry firing the element.

Just to chime in with an update, I've used mine twice now. Getting better recirculation than I ever have. Great product, and now brew days are more relaxed because I'm not paranoid about pulling the wort level down and dry firing the element.

Thanks for the update. I ordered it (along with a new custom eBIAB setup) a couple days ago, hopefully my system will be up and running in a couple weeks

Used this for the first time last weekend, worked great; as mentioned above, recirculation was great. I don't have to worry about the recirculation piece of the brew day any longer. I was using a regular false bottom but never got the recirculation flow I was looking for; I was getting about 72% mash efficiency. I was playing around with flow rates vs grain bed compact, on max flow it didn't take long for the grain bed to compact hard as a brick. Around 25% of max flow is gave me a grain bed that felt right (I have no idea how to characterize that in terms of feel or any useful parameter.) I was back up to 80% mash efficiency, I did stir a couple of times but now that I understand the flow rate better don't think I'll need to in the future. Great solution for those who recirculate.

Bobby: Do you know when the 14.75" diameter false bottoms will be back in stock?

Also, Ive currently been using a similar basket below with the Wilser bag and have had a terrible time recirculating. Right now there is about a 1" gap between the the basket and kettle, but I'm afraid if i ditch the basket and only use the bag then the only area the mash will be able to escape the bag is from the bottom and with a fine crush it seems to get clogged quickly. Any recommendations?
k4C9img.jpg

I'm looking forward to the 13" false bottom to try in my 10 gallon SS Brewtech kettle. Right now I'm using clips to hold the bag in place which is not an ideal solution...

hi, two questions:
Well, I added that comment to my order, it arrived today, and I think Bobby just added in the extra set of taller screws for free!
Thanks!

Bought the 17.5" for my 20 gallon Spike v3 kettle - really looking forward to using it once it arrives.

For those of you who have already brewed with one of these, do you remove it after the mash and before the boil? Or do you just leave it in place during the boil?

Bought the 17.5" for my 20 gallon Spike v3 kettle - really looking forward to using it once it arrives.

For those of you who have already brewed with one of these, do you remove it after the mash and before the boil? Or do you just leave it in place during the boil?

I just left it in place. You could do either.

I was excited to try out my new 17.5" false bottom yesterday and ditch my pizza tin for good. I put in 4 legs on outer ring and left out the middle leg as my heating element was in the way.
2s8ies0.jpg

When putting it in the pot its a great fit. There is also no discernible flex in it like there was with my pizza tin.
Brewing

In the past I had some issues with my pizza tin restricting the flow too much back to the bottom of my pot where the outlet feeds my recirc pump. This false bottom has excellent circulation.

My problem occurred after the mash started. I was mashing at 153 degrees when I heard a metallic POP. Shortly thereafter a few more POPS.

Looking in pot after draining I can see all 4 legs had issues
2yv5r88.jpg

Removing bottom I see
6ym5up.jpg

20trvcn.jpg

25iam9y.jpg

I don't know much about welding, but the welds from the nuts to the wire are tiny. I'd reason the weld size is insufficient for the thermal expansion/contraction. I am also surprised some of the welds on the outer ring broke (small gauge wire attached to the outer ring).

I'm wondering if there is a way to use stainless steel washers to give a much larger surface area to weld to. Even if the nut was welded to the top of the washer I cant see that hurting anything.

The potential for this product is 5 star and I think a must have for a Biab'er, but it needs some revision because its not quite right yet.

As promised, a follow up. This past weekend I did a 31 lb grain bill for a brown IPA in my 62 quart Bayou Classic. Ten gallon batch. Mine held up just fine under the load.

I was excited to try out my new 17.5" false bottom yesterday and ditch my pizza tin for good. I put in 4 legs on outer ring and left out the middle leg as my heating element was in the way.
2s8ies0.jpg

When putting it in the pot its a great fit. There is also no discernible flex in it like there was with my pizza tin.
Brewing

In the past I had some issues with my pizza tin restricting the flow too much back to the bottom of my pot where the outlet feeds my recirc pump. This false bottom has excellent circulation.

My problem occurred after the mash started. I was mashing at 153 degrees when I heard a metallic POP. Shortly thereafter a few more POPS.

Looking in pot after draining I can see all 4 legs had issues
2yv5r88.jpg

Removing bottom I see
6ym5up.jpg

20trvcn.jpg

25iam9y.jpg

I don't know much about welding, but the welds from the nuts to the wire are tiny. I'd reason the weld size is insufficient for the thermal expansion/contraction. I am also surprised some of the welds on the outer ring broke (small gauge wire attached to the outer ring).

I'm wondering if there is a way to use stainless steel washers to give a much larger surface area to weld to. Even if the nut was welded to the top of the washer I cant see that hurting anything.

The potential for this product is 5 star and I think a must have for a Biab'er, but it needs some revision because its not quite right yet.

I agree that the welded nuts need to be reconsidered for the 17.5" version. They work fine on the 13" and 14.75 but at that large of a disc, 5 legs is not enough for the hydraulic pressure created during recirculation. With the fine crush everyone is using for BIAB, bags don't flow as freely as you'd like. Once you get to a certain point, the bag is holding back more liquid and you pull a vacuum on the space beneath.

For now I'm going to try augmenting the 5 legs with another 4 bolted straight through the mesh with washers above and below.

BoilCoil users...

I purchased the false bottom (with the 3.5" screw size) for use in a SSBREWTECH 15gal Kettle and it fits just fine. Should work just as well in a Blichmann kettle.

View attachment 360491

I'd be curious about your feedback on the false bottom and the boilcoil (4500watt I assume) after you've done a batch. I think Blichmann recommends that their element not be used to directly heat the mash, not sure if this even applies in BIAB.

Back