New BIAB False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I picked up an inexpensive steamer rack for my eBIAB pot on Amazon because I couldn't get good recirculation flow using a regular perforated false bottom. Two batches later and it's already forming rust because it's just chrome plated steel. In fact, I've looked for a really long time to find a stainless version and they don't exist.

Boom, I just got 50 of them made.

100% 304SS wire mesh (1.25mm) with double 5mm rolled support rings and two cross braces. Height adjustable via varying lengths of bolt "legs".

This first run is all 14.75" diameter as it fits a lot of different pots such as Bayou 1060 (62qt) and Bayou 1440 (40qt), Amcyl 15 gallon, Keggles, and even the Blichmann 15 gallon.

More sizes in the future.

I'm waiting to get my hands on a few more bolt lengths for the legs as I only have 2" right now.

BIABbottom.jpg

BIABbottomclose.jpg

This is exactly what I've been waiting for. In general, how close does this false bottom need to match the kettle diameter? If the kettle diameter is too large I would be concerned about sucking the bag down the gap between the false bottom and kettle wall.

Got my eye on a kettle with a 16" diameter. What do you think @Bobby_M ?

I think that you can get away with up to a 16" diameter. That's only a 1/2" gap around the whole thing. There really isn't much force that would pull the bag into the gap since the rest of the disc is so free flowing. I HAVE had the bag suck down when using a loose fitting regular false bottom but that's because it was only 33% open area. You can also help by pulling the bag down over the top edge of the pot to reduce the slack.

Commenting so I can find this later. Looks good :mug:

Just a public service announcement, but you can subscribe to threads without commenting on them. If you're using the app look for the little star at the top of your screen and click it. If you're using the website look on the right hand side towards the top of the thread for this thing called "Thread Tools". Click on it and you'll find a helpful little button called "Subscribe to this Thread".

I think that you can get away with up to a 16" diameter. That's only a 1/2" gap around the whole thing. There really isn't much force that would pull the bag into the gap since the rest of the disc is so free flowing. I HAVE had the bag suck down when using a loose fitting regular false bottom but that's because it was only 33% open area. You can also help by pulling the bag down over the top edge of the pot to reduce the slack.

Good point on the open area. If I can get my ducks in a row I'll be placing an order on Monday!

I want one with a matching pot. Preferably a 10 gallon with a thermowell

I'll be looking first thing tomorrow

I have been looking for something like this for a long time - very exciting!

I have the Spike Brewing 20 gallon kettle, which has a 17.7" diameter. The 14.75" false bottom would then leave a 1.5" gap around the edge - too much? Perhaps, but I might give it a shot regardless.

Would love to see one of these for 10 gallon kettles - this would be perfect for a eBIAB setup.

The next batch will be 13" and 17.5" given the following:

For the 13" one:
Bayou 1310 13.25"
Bayou 1430 13.5"
Blich 10g 13.5"
Amcyl 10g 13.5"
Megapot 1.2 10 14"
Spike 10g 13.8"

For the 17.5" one:
Blich 20 17.75"
Megapot 1.2 20 17.7
Bayou 20 and 25g 18.5"
Spike 20g 17.7"

If you think I'm missing out on a crucial pot, please let me know. Keep in mind that these don't have to fit very tight. I think they can be used in a kettle up to 1.5" larger than the meshFB without any issue.
I

First off let me say nice job on building these! I'm new to the whole BIAB setup (did one brew this way so far). So please explain why this helps. From what I understand is you normally heat the water, then place the bag in the pot, fill the bag with the grains and let the mash do its thing. After the mashing is complete you pull the bag and fire up your burner to start boiling.

Again, please excuse my ignorance on this one but I am trying to figure out why there is a need for this. I'm always looking at how to better any of my processes or improve on things, so I am very curious about this. Thanks in advance!

First off let me say nice job on building these! I'm new to the whole BIAB setup (did one brew this way so far). So please explain why this helps. From what I understand is you normally heat the water, then place the bag in the pot, fill the bag with the grains and let the mash do its thing. After the mashing is complete you pull the bag and fire up your burner to start boiling.

Again, please excuse my ignorance on this one but I am trying to figure out why there is a need for this. I'm always looking at how to better any of my processes or improve on things, so I am very curious about this. Thanks in advance!

This is intended for being able to heat the mash via electric element or direct fire.

This is intended for being able to heat the mash via electric element or direct fire.

Ok, the electric element part makes sense. I'm sure that can stay hot for some time even after it is turned off.

But don't they say do not use the bag in the pot when trying to heat the water? Thats why you would heat the water then remove from heat or turn off the burner and then place the bag in the pot?

Again, I'm still new to this and trying to better understand it. Thanks!

trying to better understand it. Thanks!

The BIAB false bottom is ideal for those looking to add heat, recirculate, and automate temp control during the mash.

You can BIAB without these features. Some choose a more technical sophisticated approach.

Great product Bobby, perfect solution for those experiencing a stuck mash while recirculating.

The BIAB false bottom is ideal for those looking to add heat, recirculate, and automate temp control during the mash.

You can BIAB without these features. Some choose a more technical sophisticated approach.

Great product Bobby, perfect solution for those experiencing a stuck mash while recirculating.

AH ok, now I get it! Thanks Wilser! I'm not quite there but I can see how this helps now. Well as I get more familiar with my BIAB process and what not, I'm sure I will be a customer of Bobby's!

The next batch will be 13" and 17.5" given the following:

For the 13" one:
Bayou 1310 13.25"
Bayou 1430 13.5"
Blich 10g 13.5"
Amcyl 10g 13.5"
Megapot 1.2 10 14"
Spike 10g 13.8"

For the 17.5" one:
Blich 20 17.75"
Megapot 1.2 20 17.7
Bayou 20 and 25g 18.5"
Spike 20g 17.7"

If you think I'm missing out on a crucial pot, please let me know. Keep in mind that these don't have to fit very tight. I think they can be used in a kettle up to 1.5" larger than the meshFB without any issue.
I

Woot! I'm ready to get rid of the clamps I've been using to hold my bag in place so the bottom doesn't scorch. I'll be ordering a 13" when they're released.

Bought a bayou classic 1060. Gonna punch some holes, attach the hardware I just ordered from you, and hopefully have my maiden voyage using this new false bottom in a couple of weeks from now. Pumped!

Though I do have some G2s in the shop, I don't have any boil coils to check. I have the leg mounts out near the rolled edge for strength but one way around it is to use some nuts and washer to make new legs further in.

This is great. Thank You!

Let us know when the 3.5" lifts are available. I haven't seen them on your website, unless you've sold out already.

Hey Bobby,

It looks as if the lifts are just screwed into the nuts. If so, can we just use own own bolts? I see on your website that you can use it without the center bolt. So does that mean they are removeable?

I can see the use for these with recirculating needs and eBIAB but for traditional baggers can you not just adjust mash temps while stirring to avoid scorching the bag?
And heres a dumb Q but do you remove this before chilling with an immersion chiller and if not wouldn't this throw some coils even above the wort level?

Hey Bobby,

It looks as if the lifts are just screwed into the nuts. If so, can we just use own own bolts? I see on your website that you can use it without the center bolt. So does that mean they are removeable?

Yes, they are removable. M8 metric bolts will screw in. We offer it without the legs or with 1, 2 or 3.5" length.

I can see the use for these with recirculating needs and eBIAB but for traditional baggers can you not just adjust mash temps while stirring to avoid scorching the bag?
And heres a dumb Q but do you remove this before chilling with an immersion chiller and if not wouldn't this throw some coils even above the wort level?

You can get away without a spacer stirring constantly.

You can make a chiller that is low and compact or you can pull the FB first.

Any plans for Bayou Classic 1144 with 10 Gallon Boil Coil? I'd gladly give you my money again. I want to eliminate the basket so I can install my spincycle whirlpool return

This is a pretty cool option!

I just had my friends make something sort of similar for me. I'm using it to support the basket and chiller. If my item that was $free99 doesn't work I'm going to order one of these.

This is for a Spike 20 gallon kettle and it will sit in the smaller diameter.

12970283_10209152934129320_560344505_o.jpg

Well the stand my buddies tried to make warped like crazy so I just ordered one of these. Hoping that it makes it here by the weekend!

When your 17.5" come in stock im interested! You should be able to add the Concord 80Qt (20 gal) pot to the 17.5" list. It lists a 19" width but I believe internal is closer to 18.5".

Not happy with my alum pizza pan, it collapsed a bit under the weight of my grain bag and burned a very tiny hole in my wilser bag (wondering how to fix that before it gets big). This looks like a more robust solution.

I got the 5500w stainless ripple ultra low watt density element and hot pod kit & TC radius flange kit from Bobby last year too. Love them! If you're looking to customize a nice Biab/eBiab brewhardware.com has great stuff.

Back