New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IIPA clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danszabrew

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a clone recipe, so any input and advice would be greatly appreciated!

I've been scouring the internet for information on this beer.. they just released a new batch of IPA/IIPA's in December and they haven't released much information on their website as they do with other beers.
Having said that, I have been able to find some information and this is my attempt at a recipe.

Hops:
I found an article mentioning the hops that are used in this beer.
Mosaic, Calypso, Delta, Bravo. I haven't used any of these hops with exception of Mosaic - Anyone with experience on these hops want to shed some light?

I know that this beer is 70 IBU so here goes:

1 oz Bravo at 90
.75oz Mosaic, .75oz Calypso, 1oz Delta at 10

.5 Calypso at 160
.5 Mosaic at 160

Dry hop:
No idea?
Shot in the dark:
1oz Mosaic, 1oz Calypso, .5oz Delta

Yeast:
I know that this beer is 9% abv and that the FG is 1.012 (degassed a sample last night)
I've only used 1 yeast that gets the AA% and that's WLP090
Their website says the use ale yeast .. duh :D

Grain:
This is the most difficult part for me anyway. Most of their beers they detail the grain that is used.. a lot of their IPA/IIPA's use c120/black malt. Personally, I taste biscuit in all of their IPAs .. someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
I was having issues with using an SRM printout with the sample side by side, however I do happen to have a bells 2 hearted clone on tap at 10-10.5 SRM - The New Belgium Voodoo Ranger and my 2 hearted clone are almost identical in color.

Having said that, here is a stab at the grain bill:
With having a FG of 1.012 and 9% abv - the OG needs to be at 1.080-1.081
I get around 70% efficiency with my setup

15 # American 2 row
1 # Biscuit malt
.75# C60

For others:
89% 2row
6% biscuit
5% c60

This should get me a preboil of 1.059 at 7.5 gallons in the kettle and 5.5 in the fermenter at 1.080

59*7.5/5.5

Color:
This gives us 10.53 SRM which should get us pretty close

Any tips/ feedback is greatly appreciated!
:mug:

Calypso has an apple, lemon and tea flavor. Some tropical undertones too. That is what i have derived from it. And you probably want to use more of it because mosaic will definitely over power it. I would use 2-3x of calypso.

Awesome! I'll adjust the hop bill per that information - Do you think the dry hopping will need to be adjusted as well?

Yup, I would do 2oz of calypso. I have not used Delta, from the description it is a cross between cascade and fuggle. Maybe up to an oz on the dry hop. So this is what I might do:

1 oz Bravo at 90
1oz Mosaic, 1.5oz Calypso

.5 Calypso at 160
.5 Mosaic at 160
1oz Delta at 160

Dry hop:
1oz Mosaic, 2oz Calypso, 1oz Delta

Thanks for the information! I plan on making this one more than once so I don't mind playing around with the recipe.

Back