New Belgium Snapshot Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phyllobeddo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m looking to brew a Snapshot clone recipe. I didn’t find a thread on these forums, and my GoogleFu only found one recipe at https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/new-belgium-snapshot-clone

——————————————————————————————————————

5.5 gallon batch; 75% Efficiency; I assume a 60 minute mash (not sure what temp??)

7lb Pale Wheat
3lb Maris Otter
2lb Acidulated Malt

.5 oz Cascade 60 minutes
.5 oz Cascade 15 minutes
1 oz Citra 0 minutes

1 oz Grains of Paradise 5 minutes boil
2 g Coriander Seed 5 minutes boil

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II. Boil 60 minutes.

——————————————————————————————————————

The recipe looks pretty decent to me, but I”m no master recipe maker. I know that Snapshot is a blend of wheat and sour beers. I won’t be doing anything like that, but I would like to come close with some tartness in the beer. Two pounds of acidulated malt sounds like a lot when I compare it to what I’ve seen for other recipes, but that amount may be there for some tartness. I’m not sure. That’s one of the reasons I’m here to get pointers on this recipe. Or pick up a completely different recipe all together.

I’ve not used Wyeast 1272 either. It sounds good per the description, but don’t they all? A big concern right now is getting liquid yeast due to the heat. Suggestions for dry yeast would be appreciated as well. I’m not opposed to using dry yeast at all (besides the fact that the liquid yeast might be cooked before it arrived at my house!).

I hope to brew this recipe or something similar in the next 4-5 weeks. My next batch is going to be Cream of Three Crops AG/BIAB. This will be my first foray into All Grain. I can’t wait! So, plans are for this to be my second AG batch.

Thoughts, comments, substitutions, etc welcomed.

After some more reading on Coriander and Grains of Paradise, it seems that this recipe may have the two amounts swapped. I believe it should read as follows:

1 oz Coriander Seed 5 minutes boil
2g Grains of Paradise 5 minutes boil

Hmm. Not much interest in Snapshot.....

Nonetheless, I ordered ingredients today to make three 3 gallon batches. Cream of 3 crops, and two pale American wheat beers. I hope that I receive the ingredients by this weekend and can brew next Monday. I didn't order GoP yet because it's quite expensive.

I'd be interested to hear how this turned out -- if you've done the brew yet. It'd be fantastic if the acidulated malt contribution gave a nice sourness, since that's a much easier way to do it than the method New Belgium describes.

Thats a lot of acid malt. I wonder what the mash ph was. The guy doesnt have it in his notes.

I kegged this Sunday. 31 days in the primary. I made a 2.5 gallon batch. Tastes pretty good flat and at room temp. It does have a little bit of sourness to it. I did not add any coriander or GoP this time. I plan to do another batch of it and add the spices. This is my best tasting AG batch so far. I've only done three. Still learning. I can't remember the number, but my efficiency was low on this one.

2.5 gallon batch:

4lb Weyermann Pale Wheat 57%
2lb Maris Otter 29%
1lb Acidulated Malt 14%
.25 oz Cascade 60 minutes
.25 oz Cascade 15 minutes
.25 oz Citra 0 minutes
US-05

OG 1050
FG 1021

Mashed at 154 for 60 minutes. Boiled for 60 minutes on stove top (kind of a rolling boil). Fermented in my wine fridge at about 62 or 63 degrees. Notty might be better suited for these lower temps.

I kegged this Sunday. 31 days in the primary. I made a 2.5 gallon batch. Tastes pretty good flat and at room temp. It does have a little bit of sourness to it. I did not add any coriander or GoP this time. I plan to do another batch of it and add the spices.

Any followup on this? How was it cold and carbed? Have you done a side by side with the real thing?

I just had a Snapshot tonight for the first time and found it to be mighty tasty. Thanks for posting your recipe.

Any followup on this? How was it cold and carbed? Have you done a side by side with the real thing?

I just had a Snapshot tonight for the first time and found it to be mighty tasty. Thanks for posting your recipe.

I have one bottle of this left, I put it in the beer fridge last weekend (bottled on 10/26/2014). I also have one bottle of Snapshot as well. I will do a side by side this weekend and report back.

I plan to do another batch of this at some point with some modifications. I looked at my notes from last year and here is what I came up with for the next revision.

4lb Pale Wheat 53%
3lb 2 row 40%
8oz Acidulated Malt 7%
.25 oz (7 g) Cascade 60 minutes
.25 oz (7 g) Cascade 15 minutes
.5 oz ground coriander 5 minutes
1 g ground GoP 5 minutes
.5oz (7.1g) Citra 0 minutes
Notty

I drank this and a Snapshot over the weekend. The Snapshot wins. I didn't really expect this to compete against a blended beer made by New Belgium. But anyway.... This beer has a "twang" to it. Not sure if it's from the ton of acid malt or what it is. SWMBO described the taste as what a bottle of vitamins smells like when you open it. I would not brew it with MO again. I wouldn't use as much acid malt either. I've already posted the recipe that I would try the second time. This was a decent starter recipe. I will try to brew my modified recipe some time this Spring or Summer most likely.

Ok. Thanks for the update. I'm a little leary of acid malt. I've only brewed with it once and that beer was not my favorite. It may have had other problems though... :) I'll keep an eye on this thread for any future updates.

Back