New Belgian Tripel Recipee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBCBrewmaster

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
All-Grain - New Belgian Tripel Recipee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 3944
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: 2 packs 3944 grown 4 times in 1.040 dme wort
Batch Size (Gallons): 21
Original Gravity: 1.084
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 31
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: Pale/gold
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @70
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @70

Here ia a recipee I'm thinking about trying. I never did a tripel. Anything wrong with using table sugar? I was going to add it after primary fermentation subsides.

55 lbs belgian Pils (or German cause that's what I have right now)
5 lbs table sugar
4.5 oz Saz 5.4AA 60 min
4.5 oz Saaz 5.4AA 30 min

Mash @ 150 for 75 Min with 20.5 Gal
heat to 168 over 10 min
hold at 168 for 10 min
sparge with 13 gallons @ 168
boil volume 26 gal

Ferment at 70F for 2 weeks
transfer to secondary for 1-2 weeks 70F then cold crash to 40
transfer to keg and force carbonate at 40 degrees and 40 psi for 24 hours
Drink

I'd really like to get some opinions before I commit to a 21 gallon batch of this. Thanks!!

I've used up to 20% table sugar on my tripels. I've found somewhere in the 15% range is what I like the best. So don't be afraid to use more.

I'd mash at 149* for probably 90min too.

I've used up to 20% table sugar on my tripels. I've found somewhere in the 15% range is what I like the best. So don't be afraid to use more.

I'd mash at 149* for probably 90min too.

Thanks. Do you add the sugar dry or do you disolve it first? I was thinking I would mix it with water and pasteurize it first.

Thanks. Do you add the sugar dry or do you disolve it first? I was thinking I would mix it with water and pasteurize it first.

You can either add the sugar at the end of the boil, or you can add it after primary fermentation starts to wind down. If you add it later, I would dissolve it in water and boil it for 5min or so to sterilize it.

The last Tripel I made had an OG of 1.078, and FG 1.012. It was a little too thick. I'd shoot for 1.008 or so, if I did it again.

Make sure you come back and post how this turned out. Some people get kinda irked when people post recipes into the database without actually having brewed them, especially since you've never done a tripel before...

Make sure you come back and post how this turned out. Some people get kinda irked when people post recipes into the database without actually having brewed them, especially since you've never done a tripel before...

It's not in the recipe database. I thought the Recipes/Ingredients forum was the right place to offer recipes to critique.

It's not in the recipe database. I thought the Recipes/Ingredients forum was the right place to offer recipes to critique.

It was in the database...............I moved it to the appropriate forum.

The database is for fully testing, proven, repeated recipes. This section is for newer recipes, questions, thoughts, etc.

Anyway, it's where it belongs now!

It was in the database...............I moved it to the appropriate forum.

The database is for fully testing, proven, repeated recipes. This section is for newer recipes, questions, thoughts, etc.

Anyway, it's where it belongs now!

Good job Yooper! You moved it so fast I didn't even notice. . .

Go to the main page and scroll down. You'll see a section called "Recipe Database". :D

Follow up here.

Now, to the recipe. I think you're on to something. Tripel is one of my favorite styles.

German pils malt is more than sufficient. As a general rule, the brewers of the benchmark Belgian beers don't use Belgian malt.

Mash low and slow.

I like to add sugar to the boil. Opinions differ. ;)

Try pitching closer to 60F and letting the temperature ramp up as the ferment gets swinging. If you don't own a copy of Brew Like a Monk, buy a copy and read it.

If you're going to rack, use a fining agent (or agents) to help clear the beer. Store it cold. In other words, if you're going to crash it, add the haze-reducing agents and "lager" it.

Cheers!

Bob

Go to the main page and scroll down. You'll see a section called "Recipe Database". :D

Follow up here.

Now, to the recipe. I think you're on to something. Tripel is one of my favorite styles.

German pils malt is more than sufficient. As a general rule, the brewers of the benchmark Belgian beers don't use Belgian malt.

Mash low and slow.

I like to add sugar to the boil. Opinions differ. ;)

Try pitching closer to 60F and letting the temperature ramp up as the ferment gets swinging. If you don't own a copy of Brew Like a Monk, buy a copy and read it.

If you're going to rack, use a fining agent (or agents) to help clear the beer. Store it cold. In other words, if you're going to crash it, add the haze-reducing agents and "lager" it.

Cheers!

Bob
Thanks Bob! So the only reason I was going to add the sugar after the primary settles down is so I can get my yeasties gobbling up the longer chains before they tucker out and then add the sugar so they get a nice boost of energy to finish the job and dry it out. That's the theory any way. I got the idea from researching honey for a honey beer. http://www.honey.com/images/downloads/home_brew.pdf Actually I do have Brew like a Monk and I've noticed that the recipees, scant as they are tend to be ultra simple. I'm a big advocate of simple. Also, I've never put finings in a secondary. I've only used whirlfloc tabs. I don't suppose crushing those up would work the same...Why do you do this? What's wrong with just adding it to the boil?

Latest posts

Back