New beer brewer, long time beer drinker!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backdrifter

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new and happy to be here. I've brewed three or four batches of homebrew with the Brewer's Best kit over many years. Looking back, it's amazing to me that I didn't get more serious about it sooner. I've been a huge beer fanatic since I was of legal drinking age (OK, maybe a bit earlier than that!), and in college I majored in Chemical Engineering and really enjoyed playing with batch processes in my classes. This is the perfect marriage of interests and education for me!

My goal is to dabble in extract until I feel comfortable and confident that I understand the processes and techniques. Then I want to start adding equipment and move into all grain brewing. I have a section in the basement roughed in for water, and I can envision a complete brew room with a bar just outside. But, that's getting a little ahead of myself. Perhaps I should brew something drinkable first! :D

If any of you frequent motorcycle or guitar related forums, you may recognize my screen name from another site. It's on those sites that I learned the benefits, support, and camaraderie that interest forums can offer. I recently completed a frame up, nuts and bolt restoration of a 1973 BMW motorcycle. It belonged to my wife's grandpa, and after he passed, it sat neglected for a few years. I've always been into motorcycles and I certainly have some mechanical knowledge, but I never could have completed the build without the help of some very knowledgeable forum members. With their help, she went from this:

To this:

And, of course, along the way much beer was consumed! In fact, in preparation for the rebuild, my dad and I went on a beer buying binge. My wife and I had recently bought a new refrigerator for the house, so the old one was available to become my beer fridge. We went on a buying spree to fill it from top to bottom in one trip, and that's exactly what we did.

Good times! That's me on one of the happiest days of my life (after my wedding day and the births of my two children, of course!):

At home and spread out:

And in its new home!

beerfridge.jpg

Well, enough rambling about me. Thanks for letting me join your forum, and I look forward to learning lots. I have a LOT to learn, so please bear (beer?) with me!

I'm happy to share! Actually, that photo is at least a year old. The beer fridge is now a shadow of what it used to be, but I still have two shelves completely full with some nice selections. Moving forward, the plan will be to convert the bottom half to my kegerator. I can already tell I'm not going to want to deal with bottling!

Welcome! Nice resto on the bike BTW... I'm a car girl and can appreciate all the hard work you put into her.
Where do you hail from?

Hi Melana,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Is the Cadillac in your profile picture yours? If so, very nice! I've played with cars as well, but I don't have anything fun right now. My favorite that I owned in the past was a 1936 Ford 2 door slant back sedan. It was a blast!

Thanks for the kind words on the bike too. It really was a labor of love. It was fun bringing her back to her original glory, and now my family has a neat heirloom that will be passed down through the generations.

I've updated my profile too. I'm in Southern Illinois (Belleville), just outside of St. Louis.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

backdrifter said:
Hi Melana,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Is the Cadillac in your profile picture yours? If so, very nice! I've played with cars as well, but I don't have anything fun right now. My favorite that I owned in the past was a 1936 Ford 2 door slant back sedan. It was a blast!

Thanks for the kind words on the bike too. It really was a labor of love. It was fun bringing her back to her original glory, and now my family has a neat heirloom that will be passed down through the generations.

I've updated my profile too. I'm in Southern Illinois (Belleville), just outside of St. Louis.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Yes, she belongs to BigJohnMilford and I. Thanks, we love driving her..... Oh! A '36 ford! My dad has a '35 four door convertible sedan. I'll go find a picture.

Welcome!! Love the beer fridge! Along with my new obsession...uh, I mean hobby...of brewing, the wife got me a beer of the month club subscription for my birthday. Should get the first one this week! 2 US microbrews (3 each) and 2 foreign beers (3 each).

Thanks ElJefeBrews and knelson13A!

I've received the beer of the month club as a present (years ago) and really enjoyed it. I think you're in for a treat! I remember being amazed by the selections they sent - great beers, and many that I had never heard of (and I pride myself on finding and trying unique and rare beers!).

You'll have to check back in and let us know how it goes!

VERY nice, Melana! The '55 Ford looks gorgeous, but that '35 really speaks to me! The 30's Fords have a special place in my heart. I'll have to dig up some pics of my '36. I owned it before the digital age, so unfortunately I only have hard-print photos of it. I'll have to see where they are these days and scan a few in.

In the mean-time, here's a few others. These belong to my brother-in-law and his brother. The '55 Chevy is my brother-in-law's, and the '53 pickup is his brother's. That's them and my sister relaxing on the left as they wash their cars. Sorry for the poor photo, I had to take a picture of the magazine cover with my iPhone.

And now for something completely different, here is a Ford Bronco I owned just after college when I moved to the LA area. It was a great vehicle for Southern California. I miss it, and those days!

Early on:

And a few years later with a much more reasonable set of "street shoes"!

My dad and I painted it that "eyesore yellow" color ourselves. He had painted cars before, but it was my first (and last!) time. Painting is an absolute art, and I'll leave it to the experts from now on. It turned out pretty good, but it was a TON of work! I must've wet sanded for a week straight!

Nice beer and nice rides! I've got a '69 mustang hardtop that is supposed to be being restored, but somehow homebrewing and fatherly stuff keeps getting in the way.

I had wanted to pain the mustang myself in the garage, but the more work I do on it, the less likely that is to happen. I'm sur eonce I get done with the welding, grinding, body filling, sanding, priming, sanding... I'll be done wanting to do any more wet sanding!

Latest posts

Back