New BCS-462 / RPi Control Panel Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to hear it. Post a screenshot of your layout when you get a chance.

Jon -

Here you go:

BCS Desktop.png

It worked natively out of the box. As far as the pi goes, I use it with Ubuntu mate Linux. Calibration took a little work as one of the axises was switched. A quick Google search provided instructions on editing a configuration file and using touchscreen calibration program. Let me know if you have any issues and I'll try to help.

Thanks for the tip on the swapped axis, my touchscreen had that and I was able to get it fixed.

What did you use to calibrate the screen?

Also, did you have any issues getting the pi to recognize the lvds converter or did it just work once all setup?

Use xinput-calibrator in the command prompt. Had no issues with the Pi, plug and play. On occasion, the screen resolution is incorrect - not sure why. A restart fixes the problem.

Use xinput-calibrator in the command prompt. Had no issues with the Pi, plug and play. On occasion, the screen resolution is incorrect - not sure why. A restart fixes the problem.

Thanks! I'll try out the xinput-calibrator once I get my lvds/hdmi connection working properly.

Man... I just spent a good bit of time trying to get this to work. I bought an LCD from Amazon and a generic touchscreen off eBay from China a while ago, but hadn't got around to putting it all together yet.

First the LCD power supply crapped out after about 10 minutes. Fortunately I had another which worked OK. Then I had to figure out how to get the video to fill the screen. That took editing more configuration files than one would expect.

Then I got the touchscreen plugged in and it was totally out of whack. Had to put lots of google-fu to use and finally came up with a solution. The real trick was figuring out what the touchscreen module was. Also needed to swap the X and Y axes and invert the X axis. As any Unix guy (I am not one) knows, its lots and lots of terminal work. Anyway, several different ways to do it but ultimately I think I came up with a solid solution. I need to mount it all up now.

Excellent, let me know how it goes. I'm now having an issue with my y axis getting flipped every time I restart. Haven't had the time to debug.

Just wanted to say thanks for your help. I have made some progress on my control box and now have my 14" lcd and touchescreen panel mounted and working with the pi. Next up is some final tweaking on the pi and I still have to wire up all the control panel buttons, relays, everything. :)

i know this is an old thread but, this looks awesome! I think you got the idea of the TV mount from me, it's awesome fro my needs.

I'm sure you got your Alarm buzzer working, but if you haven't, check to make sure it's not the 12V version and you're pumping 120V through it. They look identical to each other and I had the same issue, turned out the seller sent me the 12V one and died the second the alarm went off, didn't even make a peep and I was baffled until I pulled it out and read the small lettering on the side that said "12V".

i know this is an old thread but, this looks awesome! I think you got the idea of the TV mount from me, it's awesome fro my needs.

I'm sure you got your Alarm buzzer working, but if you haven't, check to make sure it's not the 12V version and you're pumping 120V through it. They look identical to each other and I had the same issue, turned out the seller sent me the 12V one and died the second the alarm went off, didn't even make a peep and I was baffled until I pulled it out and read the small lettering on the side that said "12V".

Thanks, everything works well - alarm included. The TV mount certainly wasn't my idea - I used many ideas from the forum in the development of the system. If it was your idea, thanks much!

I probably need to update this thread one of these days with the latest improvements. Not today though - off to Florida. :)

Hey Ryan,

I have my Raspberry Pi/touchscreen working well enough. The issue I am having, and do not think can be worked around, is the on-screen keyboard. The keyboard of choice it seems, is matchbox-keyboard. Long story short, it has to be invoked, and does not play nice on screen with the browser. For example, if I want to edit a temp setting, I need to pull up the keyboard, make the edit, then close the keyboard. This is much more of a PITA than using the iPad, which of course has a context sensitive keyboard which pops up.

How are you doing it? Thoughts/comments?

OK, so a little more progress tonight. I was able to mount all of the internal components into the box. I will hold off wiring until I install the mounting bracket from the TV Stand (awaiting shipment from amazon).

The TV Stand will allow the control panel to move away from the wall during brewing, and push out of the way when finished (not my idea, stole from other here on HBT).

In case anyone asks, the two boxes on the top row are the raspberry pi and the network switch. Middle row has the bcs462 and power transformers (12vdc for relay and lcd screen, 5vdc for RPi and network switch, 24vac for Honeywell gas valves). Bottom row has SPDT relay for gas valves and pumps, SSR for 120v buzzer, contactor, and breaker)

Can't believe this is finally coming together after months of design and waiting on parts. :D

Can you please tell me what 5vdc transformer you are using for the RPi, I have been wanting to ditch the cell phone style transformer for a BrewPi setup so I only have to use up one 120V outlet on the wall.

Great looking controller. I went with PIDs and have been kicking myself for not going down the path as you have.

Great looking controller. I went with PIDs and have been kicking myself for not going down the path as you have.

Initially, the new build with the BCS and touchscreen was largely motivated by the fact that my old panel had no sex appeal. The new panel is sexy as hell IMHO. However, I have been able to truly add some significant upgrades in automation and process flow that I never had with the previous PID panel.

Since the build I've automated my ball valves which allows the BCS to seamlessly go from strike, to mash, to sparge, to boil, to WP with little to no actual "work" from the operator. This allows me to safely have a couple, and converse with friends without worrying about missing a step.

Thanks! The build was a great learning experience and has been brewing great beer ever since. The automation greatly improves my ability to replicate beers, maintain consistency, decrease session length, and decrease brew day stress. It also has allowed me a great platform to help teach others the brewing process.

Latest posts

Back