New Barrel to sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelsyrek

Reaction score
So I just got a new 5 gallon french oak barrel. I was wondering how I begin to inoculate it with bugs. I want to control what gets in there so should I sanitize it first then throw in bugs when I rack off primary or let it develop naturally.

im not sure id use a new oak barrel for souring, it'll add too much oak for the time you'll need to spend in there. id run a few beers thru it first to reduce the oak character, then turn it sour.

and a barrel that small has a lot of surface area compared to the amount of beer... be careful as it can get really woody really fast.

http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/wbarrel.pdf

You don't want natural... no telling what will be in there. I'm pretty sure this says to burn a sulfur stick to sanitize... then pitch the exact bugs you want.

MY HBC just had 53 gallons go unintentionally sour.... it sucks, be careful!

Didn't someone have a barrel blow up (yea, like explode in their face resulting in a hospital trip) from doing this? Or am I tihnking of some other method...

Back