New at water adjustment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuggethead

Reaction score
With EZ Water calculator, and using RO water, do you enter the starting water profiles as "0" and show the % of RO or Distilled as 100%. Or do you actually have the RO tested to obtain the entries.

This is new to me as I have not needed to mess with water chemistry until now.

R/O water may have a minimal amount minerals remaining but when I test it with an Total Dissolved Solids electronic tester I get zero or nearly zero so I have been using zero and 100% as you described above. The problem is that if the R/O unit is poorly maintained it may have a significant amount of minerals and could alter your calculations. So knowing the quality of your source is important. I buy my water at a local water store and feel comfortable with their quality control/maintenence.

Zero is close enough if the RO system is working correctly. Also, RO doesn't remove chlorine or chloramine and a TDS meter won't detect it. You need to use a charcoal filter to do that, or campden tablets. A TDS meter is a great investment, they are only about $25.

Good point about chloramine and such. Most r/o systems include charcoal filtration but you should ask to be sure.

Zero is close enough if the RO system is working correctly. Also, RO doesn't remove chlorine or chloramine and a TDS meter won't detect it. You need to use a charcoal filter to do that, or campden tablets. A TDS meter is a great investment, they are only about $25.

There are pre-filters that remove chlorine in any RO system. The chlorine will destroy the membrane, so it is removed prior.

There are pre-filters that remove chlorine in any RO system. The chlorine will destroy the membrane, so it is removed prior.

And that's what I get for posting at 3:00 am during a production outage for work.

Thank you for catching that.

Back