New around here.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKITTS

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new around here, but I have been lurking for a couple months now. I just bottled my first batch and feel pretty good about it. I had a ton of screw-ups, but I think it turned out pretty good for a first batch.

If you want to know I did an extract IPA with some specialty grains.

My first problem was my brew pot was too small, only 2 gallons and each time I added DME I had a major boilover. My garage floor was really sticky. I got the wort cooled and into the carboy and almost forgot to take a gravity reading. I didn't really know what I was doing and ended up wasting a bunch of wort on my sample. I got yeast pitched and within 24 hours I had a bunch of action. At this point I was feeling pretty good. I let it sit in primary for 3 weeks and transferred to secondary for dry hopping. This was a terrible experience! I ended up losing my siphon suction with almost a whole gallon left. I struggled with it for a while and finally said forget it with maybe a half gallon left. I also ended up with beer all over the place. I took a gravity sample and I was happy with where it was. I tasted this sample and that's when it hit me, I made beer!

I let it dry hop for a week and bottled tonight. What a nightmare! Took me a lot longer than I wanted it to and I ended up with a very sticky kitchen floor.

Just 3 more weeks, and I'm really excited!

I really appreciate this forum, I did a lot of reading and I was prepared for just about everything that didn't go as planned. I just kicked back and rolled with it.

Thanks to everyone on here!

Next on my list is a little sumpin sumpin

CKITTS said:
Hello, I'm new around here, but I have been lurking for a couple months now. I just bottled my first batch and feel pretty good about it. I had a ton of screw-ups, but I think it turned out pretty good for a first batch.

If you want to know I did an extract IPA with some specialty grains.

My first problem was my brew pot was too small, only 2 gallons and each time I added DME I had a major boilover. My garage floor was really sticky. I got the wort cooled and into the carboy and almost forgot to take a gravity reading. I didn't really know what I was doing and ended up wasting a bunch of wort on my sample. I got yeast pitched and within 24 hours I had a bunch of action. At this point I was feeling pretty good. I let it sit in primary for 3 weeks and transferred to secondary for dry hopping. This was a terrible experience! I ended up losing my siphon suction with almost a whole gallon left. I struggled with it for a while and finally said forget it with maybe a half gallon left. I also ended up with beer all over the place. I took a gravity sample and I was happy with where it was. I tasted this sample and that's when it hit me, I made beer!

I let it dry hop for a week and bottled tonight. What a nightmare! Took me a lot longer than I wanted it to and I ended up with a very sticky kitchen floor.

Just 3 more weeks, and I'm really excited!

I really appreciate this forum, I did a lot of reading and I was prepared for just about everything that didn't go as planned. I just kicked back and rolled with it.

Thanks to everyone on here!

Next on my list is a little sumpin sumpin

Welcome to the addiction. With each batch you'll get better and your beer will get better. Ask if you need anything, also invest in an auto siphon.

Welcome! It gets better. Bigger pot is a must. Go 10 gallons or larger. I already regret my 10 gal pot, wish I had put the money toward a 15+ initially. For the boil overs, they sell foam control, I think its fermcap goto something. Well good luck on your future batches.

Yeh I wasn't going to ever brew with that little pot again, so last night before I bottled I converted a keg into a brew kettle. Im pretty excited about that too. I can't stop thinking about brewing 10 gallons at a time.

Yeh I got a weldless valve kit and installed it last night. Cant wait to use it. I think im going to brew again tomorrow night.

Back