New apartment, moving from the stove to the backyard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veazer

Reaction score
So I've got all the gear to do 5 gallon partial boil extract batches, including a 40' 1/2" OD immersion chiller. Almost everything I'll need to convert to propane and all grain will need to be purchased. I also want to convert to kegging because bottling sucks, build myself a keezer, and convert an old mini-fridge to a 2 tap kegerator for my parents house (needs sanke and corny connections). So, with that said, what the hell do I need to do all this?

Burner/Propane/Kettle:
Blichmann floor burner with legs (includes regulator) - $200 EDIT: going electric
2 20 Lb. propane tanks (with initial fill) - $100 EDIT: going electric
Blichmann Boilermaker 20 Gallon G2 Brewpot - $420 EDIT: Bought 15 gal. used g1 for $220

MLT and HLT:
I could buy something premade like this from Fermenters Favorites for $250, EDIT: bought MLT for $40, still need HLT
or I can build something with a bazooka screen in a round or rectangular cooler for $150ish (total for both)? meaning I need:
2 Rubbermaid 10 Gallon Coolers - $90
1 1/2" bazooka screen - $10
1 1/2" to 3/8" adapter - $5
2 3/8" threaded ball valves - $20
2 3/8" male barb adapters - $5
2 3/8" x 1.5" nipples - $5
A bag of 5/8" stainless fender washers - $5
Some high temp O rings - $2
Some High temp food safe tubing - $10
Elbow grease - $0

Grain mill: $140
Extra fermenting buckets or carboys for the larger batches: $20-100

And that should be it as far as the brewing part goes, right?

Now for the kegging, I need

Kegs:
4+ish ball or pin lock corny kegs depending on what fits in the kegerator best - $300? It looks like prices for new ones aren't much worse than used ones...

Kegerator:
1 old fridge - $0
1 external 5 lb. CO2 tank - $50
Gas and beer lines and disconnects and tower and regulator and drip tray kit - $350
Temp control unit - $60
Elbow grease - $0
2 Sanke taps (possibly low profile) with corny adapters - $120
Some random odds and ends like plywood, foam, aluminum tape, etc. $20

Keezer:
The chest freezer itself: $250
20 lb. CO2 tank - $80-120
dual body 3 dial regulator - $100
CO2 manifold(s) - $50
Wood - $100
Faucets - $100-200
Temp. regulator - $100
Dehumidifier - $30
Elbow grease and odds and ends like stain and tools - $30
Disconnects and beer/gas lines - $100

So in total I'm looking at about $3K EDIT: $2.6K for all of this. Anything y'all would add or that's unnecessary? Money ain't exactly no object, but I'd like to save and buy things once, rather than buy something and upgrade it later. Chances are I will start with building the kegerator and have it set up for sanke kegs, then move on to the keezer/brewing gear.

Last edited:
Have you considered BIAB? i do both and they both have there merits. BIAB reduces the equipment needed significantly by eliminating your MLT/HLT section completely. The boilermaker is nice it will last forever. I have 2 10g ones i found used and love them. That being said you can find significantly cheaper alternatives that will last you 1 or 2 days less than forever. A boil kettle is a boil kettle for the most part in my experience.

Ironically if you wanted to drive to north east FL i have most of this stuff used that I want to get rid of : p Im right off I-95!

I would get a 8 or better a 10 gallon pot for full boils your beer will be better.:mug:

Have you considered BIAB? i do both and they both have there merits. BIAB reduces the equipment needed significantly by eliminating your MLT/HLT section completely. The boilermaker is nice it will last forever. I have 2 10g ones i found used and love them. That being said you can find significantly cheaper alternatives that will last you 1 or 2 days less than forever. A boil kettle is a boil kettle for the most part in my experience.

Ironically if you wanted to drive to north east FL i have most of this stuff used that I want to get rid of : p Im right off I-95!

Yeah a friend of mine has a boilermaker and I feel like it's justifiable. Plus if I ever buy a house and build a Kal clone brewery in it I'll already have 1 of the three I'd need. There's a guy near me in VA selling a 15 gallon boilermaker, 3 carboys, mash tun, 2 propane tanks, a bayou 15 gallon pot with a thermometer and ball valve, and some odds and ends for like 500 bucks before moving to Cali. Might go buy it and re-sell whatever I decide I don't want to keep. That said I do kinda like shiny new toys...

Right now I'm trying to decide if I want 15 or 20 gallon kettles though. Also trying to figure out why that guy on craigslist has 2 brew pots but neither is a MLT.

Last edited by a moderator:
are you set on all that bling...you can do the same for a lot cheaper.

I do 10 gallon AG batches with:

15.5 G Bayou Classic Kettle (with sightglass, thermos, valve): $160ish
10 G Home Depot MLT with stainless FB: $75ish
10 G Aluminum Kettle HLT (my old BK) with thermos/valve: $75ish
Bayou Classic Burner $50

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VXD94A/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Yeah I just picked up an MLT rubbermaid cooler with a bazooka screen for $40, an O2 system for $30, a lightly used 15 gallon boilermaker gen 1 for $220, 3 carboys for $60, and a bunch of random junk like a refractometer, hydrometers, scale, etc. to round up to $400. Craigslist is awesome.

EDIT: Oh, and I've decided to go electric so **** burners.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back