New Aggie brewer from Houston

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTuffy

Reaction score
Ok, I'm new, I've been reading for about 2 weeks and this is my introduction. I'm a little skeptical to post because I really don't know nearly as much as most on here, but I'll try. I brewed beer for a science fair project when I was a senior in High School, there are some benefits to Catholic school. And I started getting into it again when I found myself spending excessive amounts of money on Imperial Stout's and high priced craft beers. My first batch was an Oatmeal Stout, Basic Brew, and I realized that I didn't have enough beer going to last me with the large amount I usually consume. So I promptly brewed up a Cream Ale, a Kolsch, a Third Coast Barleywine, and a Russian Imperial Stout. Hopefully this will last me a while, but I am thinking I need to keep at least a batch every 2 weeks. Wife isn't so into it yet, we'll see. Thanks for all the help and multitudes of information and opinions!

Welcome to HBT! Don't worrry about posting, we were all noobs at one time. One suggestion moving forward, if your consumption rate is on the high side and you are pretty sure that you will stick with the hobby, you might want to think about brewing larger batches. It will cut down on your time investment and make keeping the pipeline going a lot smoother. I used to brew every two or three weeks myself, and it really became a burden after a while.

Cheers :mug:

Thanks BBL, I would love to do that but the only problem is the larger monetary investment to moving up in sizes. I just can't pull the trigger on a bigger pot right now. So far I have been able to smash the brews into the time after the kids go to bed, and the time I do, so it's not too bad, and I can almost get one done during nap time on the weekends. I have brewed most of mine during the week after work/dinner/bedtime so it's not too bad.

I am hoping to get a good amount backed up so I can concentrate on just the ones I drink the most. I have made the Barleywine to age for a while, same with the Imperial stout. I will probably throw a couple more lighter brews on in the next week or so to make it through the summer. I still drink vodka, gin, whiskey, tequila, and lots of wine, so I'm not completely off the grid yet. If FreeTheShine ever works out, I can go totally Alcohol independent, a lofty goal.

I'm on the west side of town, Memorial area if you are familiar with it.

Awesome. I'm in Pearland. Lots of Homebrewers in and around our respective areas. Let me know if you have any questions, I'm always open to help someone out. =) I won't even hold that Aggie thing against you!

Latest posts

Back