New 1/4ac Hop Farm in South Central PA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oxbow

Reaction score
Figured it was time to post a little about my big spring project. This year I decided to grow our small farm a little more by expanding into the hops business.

The idea was to start small, but try to do it right the first time. I ordered 150 rhizomes (100 cascade and 50 centennial) and put the rest of the plans in motion - making arrangements for poles, trellis supplies, and getting the ground prepped.

My trellis is 17ft above ground, the top wire is 3/16" 7x19 aircraft cable, bottom wire is high tensile fence wire, and using coir twine.

I have enough materials on site already to expand the yard by another 100 plants next year. If things go well and the demand proves its worth additional investment, I would like to just go ahead with getting the infrastructure for the expansion in place this fall so we are ready to move much more quickly in the spring.

Since everything started from rhizomes that were planted a bit late, things are slow but are progressing pretty well I think. As of tonight 22 rhizomes had sprouted tall enough bines to start to wrap around the twine which is 1-1.5ft off the ground. I still need to get the irrigation installed but we've been getting so much rain so far this spring that certainly hasn't been a problem yet.

I still have a lot to learn, but growing hops has been something I've wanted to do for a while now so it's nice to finally make it happen. This is also the year I'm transitioning to all grain brewing, which is exciting in itself.

I just wanted to say I appreciate all the knowledge on this board and the people that I have PM'd have been very helpful as well. Thanks!

IMG_2705.jpg

This is really cool. If I had the land, and I didn't live in Florida, I would attempt the same thing.

Good luck!

Looks Great! I am in Halifax just N of Harrisburg. Need any info for the local conditions let me know. Also if needed I have about 1/4 of 5/8 drip tape that I will not need. Good luck with it. Now there are three yards in the area! Hopslyvania?

This is really cool. If I had the land, and I didn't live in Florida, I would attempt the same thing.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Looks Great! I am in Halifax just N of Harrisburg. Need any info for the local conditions let me know. Also if needed I have about 1/4 of 5/8 drip tape that I will not need. Good luck with it. Now there are three yards in the area! Hopslyvania?

Thanks Ray! Yes I think it's me, you and Central Penn Hops? Certainly some others around the state but that might be it for south central.

By the Penn state is Sly Fox, Good people haven't talked to them for a while. We were trying to figure out who was first again in PA!

Good to know. I will probably join the NE Hop Alliance as that seems to be he only growers group in the area?

In other new my plants are loving this weather and really starting to grow like crazy. I hope this first year will be a good one.

I have some really awesome looking plants and some other plants that...well, let's just hope they are putting a ton of energy into their roots because I'm not seeing a ton of growth up top.

Looking into getting a good scale and foodsaver soon so I can weigh out the harvest and package it up. They are still plenty wet but when I get my hands on a good scale I can start doing percent moisture content measurements.

cones.jpg

hops.jpg

What's the distance between your poles and how many crowns in between?

Looks great!

Figured it was time to post a little about my big spring project. This year I decided to grow our small farm a little more by expanding into the hops business.

The idea was to start small, but try to do it right the first time. I ordered 150 rhizomes (100 cascade and 50 centennial) and put the rest of the plans in motion - making arrangements for poles, trellis supplies, and getting the ground prepped.

My trellis is 17ft above ground, the top wire is 3/16" 7x19 aircraft cable, bottom wire is high tensile fence wire, and using coir twine.

I have enough materials on site already to expand the yard by another 100 plants next year. If things go well and the demand proves its worth additional investment, I would like to just go ahead with getting the infrastructure for the expansion in place this fall so we are ready to move much more quickly in the spring.

Since everything started from rhizomes that were planted a bit late, things are slow but are progressing pretty well I think. As of tonight 22 rhizomes had sprouted tall enough bines to start to wrap around the twine which is 1-1.5ft off the ground. I still need to get the irrigation installed but we've been getting so much rain so far this spring that certainly hasn't been a problem yet.

I still have a lot to learn, but growing hops has been something I've wanted to do for a while now so it's nice to finally make it happen. This is also the year I'm transitioning to all grain brewing, which is exciting in itself.

I just wanted to say I appreciate all the knowledge on this board and the people that I have PM'd have been very helpful as well. Thanks!

Where in South Central PA are you located? I'm looking to start growing hops in Hummelstown.

Where in South Central PA are you located? I'm looking to start growing hops in Hummelstown.

Carlisle area

Looking great!!! You are going to love the harvest!

Thanks Ray - the vast majority of the centennial rhizomes you sold me made it but I was late so only a few are producing cones right now. Very excited to harvest what I get though.

Hey, this is Derrick from Central Penn Hops. Looking good! We (Halifax, you and me) should look into making our own chapter for NEHA. I really don't feel they do much currently for hop growers, and maybe we could provide better information to others in the area that are looking at getting into the business. Plus sharing equipment and supplies is very helpful.

Looking good. Great to see that hop growing is growing some bines in PA!

A relative owns 42 acres in Bloomsburg that he is just sitting on. He is already well-established in the plant nursery business here in NJ so I'm approaching him about using some of his land to start a hop yard.

We may want to visit you some day to chat about getting started.

Back