Never used a ferm chamber...what do I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtant

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Long story, short, my pipeline is dry, so I decided to turn my keezer up and use it as a ferm chamber.

Eight days ago, I brewed an ESB from jaysbrewing using WLP 001, and a Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde with Notty, the next day. Both were extract brews. The ESB showed no signs of fermentation until the third morning, and had a full Krausen, that afternoon. The blonde took right off and had a full Krausen after only one day.

I've never attempted to control ferm temps. Did some reading and set my keezer to 60°. Since I've yet to build a dedicated chamber, I have no thermowells, so I decided to err on the low side.

It's about a week later, and they are both just chugging along. Should I raise the temperature a bit? I'm worried about diacetyl, but I have no idea if that is something I should be worried about. If I need to bring up the temp, what should I set it to?

I personally don't "ramp up" temps, but I let mine sit a full three weeks in the FV. It seems you can get the same results via ramping up after primary fermentation has ended, or waiting a little longer. I know I don't have a problem with attenuation nor off-flavours, so I stick to what I know - keeping temps constant for the whole time.

As always, this is just what I do, and what I have noticed while reading this & other sites.

Well, I need both of these batches for an event on October 8. I'll keep an eye on them. I may need to turn up the temp just to speed it up, a bit, but I'll leave it be, for now.

Thanks!

I did the same thing you did OP when my pipeline came up dry. I generally let my brews sit in the ferm chamber for 10-14 days and then raise the temps up to let the yeast finish up. Check the gravity after the temp raise, cold crash and keg.

Cheers!

Yeah, with that kind of time-line, you might want to try the ramping-up technique!

:)

The two yeasts you are using won't necessarily be happy at the same temps. Notty likes cooler and the 001 likes it warmer. The 001 may not like being at 60F for the whole time. You might want to raise the temp to 65-ish to let the 001 finish up. Sounds like the Notty has done a lot of its work already so it shouldn't mind the warmer temps.

I wouldn't change anything. Your freezer is measuring ambient temps. They temp of the wort will be warmer during fermentation. Just like legging I would suggest the "set it and forget it" method. The fermentation temp of 001 could be 65 or 68F and ambient temps in your freezer could still measure 60F. Without any wat to measure temps of the wort I would ride it out. A second option would have been to measure temps of the wort when you saw active fermentation just to see the difference.

Back