Never Never Never do this!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarter

Reaction score
In a never ending attempt to improve my brewery, I began converting my old propane system to an electric/hardpiped 1 bbl system. Well I'm almost done with the upgrade and I will have a basic control panel controlled, clean in place, temperature controlled , one barrel system that I will usually use to make 25 gallon batches. I thought that it would be fun to categorize all expenses as "Hobby" in my financial software. At the end of the day, I realized that I had spent much more than I estimated. Those little trips to the HD for copper pipe and fittings, propane for torches and flux coupled with my upgraded pots and electrical doohickies for the control panel had ended up costing over a thousand dollars. I will have to make a lot of beer to break even.

My advise...Never track your costs. It doesn't matter because you're going spend it anyway. Putting it in a category just makes it easier for SWMBO to cypher your code! :cross:

Wife "How much did you spend?"
Me "About a hundred dollars."

I swear my wife has some weird sort of mental connection to our bank account. She knows exactly how much and when I spend. I treat my shopping trips like shots of tequila. Strategize ahead of time (salt & lime), get in and out as quick as possible to reduce the guilt (drink quick), revel in your spoils once the reprimanding has passed (bite lime take siesta).

In all honesty, I didn't lie. She only asked after the latest trip. If she wanted a total, she should have been more specific. :D

This is why I'm in charge of paying the bills... and am the first one home to stash the boxes.

"How much was that electric brewery stuff?" gets deflected with "a hell of a lot less than a sabco - i'm saving money building it myself"...

Though she did take my in-laws out to the garage to show them the latest equipment and said "here's his Christmas present..."

The sad thing is that I'm still waiting for boxes to finish my control panel. A buddy is doing the wiring because he enjoys that kind of thing...apparently but we're stuck waiting for an SSR, LED's and a stupid DIN rail. Meanwhile, I get to hear Charlie Brown's teacher in my ear. "waa waa waa waa"

But at the end of the day, guess who is making electric beer? :p

Wife and I budget every penny every week, we both know where the money goes. We both know what was spent on my Kal clone and are both perfectly ok with it.

In the homebrew, or any hobby it's called "the wife cost" When talking to someone in the hobby you tell them what you paid in "wife cost" if they persist and are dependable you tell them "true cost" but if in any conversation that person brings up "true cost" in a conversation where the wife is present, they are permanently banned from any future discussion of cost.

i'm 1 of the rare 1's. i earn, she pays, and urges me to go for what i want. she's a keeper for the last 14 years, and she knows i don't need / want a lot. my system is basic/ghetto, and i like it like that

Wife and I budget every penny every week, we both know where the money goes. We both know what was spent on my Kal clone and are both perfectly ok with it.

It sounds like you and you wife have been thru FPU with Mr. Ramsey.

Yes we have been through the class and all the steps.

Great job! Me and my wife are actually in the same boat, but this electric brewery was something that I have been working towards for a while. She is actually OK with it and hasn't fussed too much...but she has asked several times as packages arrive "is that all, finally?" LOL

Great job! Me and my wife are actually in the same boat, but this electric brewery was something that I have been working towards for a while. She is actually OK with it and hasn't fussed too much...but she has asked several times as packages arrive "is that all, finally?" LOL

My Kal clone was my reward to myself for paying off the house.

Back