Never kegged...but I’m gonna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
can someone tell me exactly what I’m going to need to buy please? I’m tired of bursting bottles and huge messes. I want to buy what I need all at once. Help?

At the minimum, you'll need a CO2 tank, gas/liquid lines/keg connectors/picnic tap, a gas regulator, a keg and a way to keep it cold. Now this is where you'll have all kinds of thoughts and options, and a lot of it depends on your price points, goals, direction, etc.

I initially started with two ball lock corny kegs, a Taprite single regulator, and a 5lb CO2 tank. The connectors for the kegs differ between ball lock kegs and pin lock kegs. If you know you'll be going with multiple kegs and lines, you may want to start either with a dual regulator, or purchase a splitter that can regulate flow (albeit the same PSI) to all kegs from one CO2 tank. If you're already planning a system for multiple kegs/service, you may want to outright invest in a larger CO2 tank.

If you're serving right from the fridge/chest freezer with temp control, a line with a picnic tap attached will work fine. Again, from there, it all depends on what equipment you have already and where you want your system to go. There is no one answer to your question...haha. Hope that helps.

Compared to bottling, I think kegging is a dream. You might want to check at LHBS or online HBS to see what they offer in "kegging kits". They often have deals on starter kegging kits, that may save you some money over buying all items individually. The kegging kits supply most, if not all the items you need to get started. Basic items would include a CO2 tank (filled) and regulator, co2 distributor manifold (preferred), or splitter and tees, plus the gas line tubing, clamps and ball or pin lock connectors to fit your kegs. What is NOT included are kegs. Most of these same suppliers have Cornelius "corny" kegs for sale, but there are actually several choices for kegs. Ball lock or pin lock connectors, Corny, Firestone, or torpedo kegs.

CO2 tanks are available in steel or aluminum. You will need to line up a local source for having the tank filled when empty. Some places will swap tanks with you, and just charge you for the fill. The distributor manifolds may or may not have check valves integrated into the shutoff valves. Check valves are recommended, to prevent the possibility of beer back flowing up to your manifold and regulator. The tubing attachment to the manifold shutoff valves can be either MFL (threaded) or hose barb and clamp.

If you want to get started for cheap, try to find used equipment. There is a single keg system (includes the keg) available here: https://www.homebrewing.org/Homebrew-Kegging-System_p_69.html?utm_campaign=Kegging_Equipment&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=kegging kit&msclkid=178ce90c4dcf11ef8cd2b466867124dd

Good Luck!

At the minimum, you'll need a CO2 tank, gas/liquid lines/keg connectors/picnic tap, a gas regulator, a keg and a way to keep it cold. Now this is where you'll have all kinds of thoughts and options, and a lot of it depends on your price points, goals, direction, etc.

I initially started with two ball lock corny kegs, a Taprite single regulator, and a 5lb CO2 tank. The connectors for the kegs differ between ball lock kegs and pin lock kegs. If you know you'll be going with multiple kegs and lines, you may want to start either with a dual regulator, or purchase a splitter that can regulate flow (albeit the same PSI) to all kegs from one CO2 tank. If you're already planning a system for multiple kegs/service, you may want to outright invest in a larger CO2 tank.

If you're serving right from the fridge/chest freezer with temp control, a line with a picnic tap attached will work fine. Again, from there, it all depends on what equipment you have already and where you want your system to go. There is no one answer to your question...haha. Hope that helps.

Im not planning multiple kegs just yet but may buy two kegs to always have one running. I saw where I can get everything you mentioned all in one kit. I’ll try to find it again and link it. Thanks for the fast reply.

kegconnection.com has starter kits. I just started kegging a few months ago. It's pretty easy and I have the option to spund.

The one thing I wish I'd of done differently is to only purchase converted pin lock kegs. They are shorter than normal ball lock kegs but the posts have been converted to ball lock.

When you buy your setup get at least 10 foot lines for picnic taps. I bought my co2 tank from the local welding supply place. A 10lb. aluminum tank cost me $103. Why did I buy from them? Because they will swap my tank when it gets close to the recert date and I will always have an up to date tank at no extra cost.

The pic below shows how I started; there's a CO2 tank, a regulator, a keg, a line from the regulator to the IN or GAS Quick-Disconnect (QD) on the keg, and a picnic tap connected via QD to the OUT or LIQUID post on the keg.

You don't even need any fancy kegerators or keezers at the outset. When you get comfortable, you can look into a more permanent way of dispensing beer from kegs if you want.

Here's how I started kegging:

k2.jpg

Here's what I'm using now:

keezerandmenu.jpg

If you want an easy way to build a keezer without using glue and without changing anything about the freezer, check out the link in my sig:

The pic below shows how I started; there's a CO2 tank, a regulator, a keg, a line from the regulator to the IN or GAS Quick-Disconnect (QD) on the keg, and a picnic tap connected via QD to the OUT or LIQUID post on the keg.

You don't even need any fancy kegerators or keezers at the outset. When you get comfortable, you can look into a more permanent way of dispensing beer from kegs if you want.

Here's how I started kegging:

View attachment 642312

Here's what I'm using now:

View attachment 642313
If you want an easy way to build a keezer without using glue and without changing anything about the freezer, check out the link in my sig:

your first setup looks like mine, i just jam 6 kegs in it now, and keep the co2 external......(and mine's a 20lb'r)

I also started with picnic taps. I got the chest freezer and built the collar so it would hold 4 kegs, but didn't initially do the shanks and perlick faucets, those came about 3 months later. Picnic taps inside the keezer worked just fine. Although during summer months I found opening the keezer frequently lead to a lot of condensation and was happy to upgrade eventually.

It's actually not. The picnic tap is looped over the regulator--you can't see the tap because it's hidden. And if you carefully follow the clear line, you'll see it go from the regulator to the keg.

View attachment 642319

you quoted the wrong post, i was talking about the link in the other one....i said your set up was like my first....confusion, and :mug:

i'd say, f'in three of the rye's, i love rye! like the hot sauce for beer! spicy....
Agreed. Rye has that spicy grainy character that adds an interesting flavor dimension. I like rye, but haven't brewed much with it. My son usually stops by after work for one of my brews, especially on hot days. For some reason, he doesn't like rye. I guess that's one reason I usually don't use rye in my grist.

Agreed. Rye has that spicy grainy character that adds an interesting flavor dimension. I like rye, but haven't brewed much with it. My son usually stops by after work for one of my brews, especially on hot days. For some reason, he doesn't like rye. I guess that's one reason I usually don't use rye in my grist.

Then you obviously need to make him a ruben sandwich or two, or three....make him one of the "children of the RYE!" lol

Back