never have labeled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradsss

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm on my fifth batch of beer and am interested in making labels. what program or business is everyone using to construct their first label?

May not be exactly what you are looking for, but I use the Avery round white stickers I get at Staples (perfect fit on the bottle caps). Just load the software into Microsoft word and you can make customized bottle-cap labels to print out. You can't get quite as creative, due to the small size, compared to a normal label...but once I've de-labeled a bottle, I have no desire to ever do it again. If you wanted to go bigger, there's all sorts of free templates on the web, and just buy an appropriate sized label/sticker at the store.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use just standard mail-labels, using MS Word to print with. They come in whatever size you want, cheap, available at WalMart, Target, or any office supply.
I list a number assigned from my brew recipe notebook, the brew style or name, (sometimes the malt & hops), date bottled, IBU's and ABV, as a minimum, and, of course, the brewmaster's name.

I use photoshop. I created a base template and modify for each beer. I print on standard white paper and use white glue or glue stick to adhere the labels. My labels are full wrap. I use a skinny strip of glue on the ends and middle. Washes off easy.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412530052.627053.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412530083.751647.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1412530121.920179.jpg

+1 on the glue stick as adhesive. Comes off easier than anything used on commercial labels, and won't cause inkjet labels to run. I've found the adhesive backed pressure sensitive labels much harder to remove (but have only tried one brand - not Avery.) Of course, if you go the small, round label on bottle cap route, ease of removal is moot.

Brew on :mug:

Hey all, I'm on my fifth batch of beer and am interested in making labels. what program or business is everyone using to construct their first label?

We would love to print up some labels for you. Stop by and check out the site. Let me know if you have any questions. We have design studio built into the site to help you create a label from scratch if that is of any interest. We've been trying to add a lot of beer related clipart to the design studio.

Go to BeerLabelizer.com, make a template, save as jpeg (tweak in your Photoshop program if necessary), email jpeg file to OfficeMax, etc., have 4-6 images laserprinted per page. Using a paper cutter, cut them out, "glue" them on with milk.

+1 on beerlabelizer.com. If you pay the author $5.00, you are given access to additional label templates that you can add your own images to. I've created custom labels for my sister's trivial pursuit group, one special label with a friend's photo on it, fishing photos, and more. Very easy to use. I got a tip on this site to glue the labels with milk. You print a set of labels (I use my inkjet printer with no problem, just give them a little time to dry), cut them out with scissors, and wipe a fingertip's worth of 2% milk on the back. The label will look blotchy at first, and when the milk dries, it looks great. And the labels stay on.

+1 on beerlabelizer.com and you can print yourself with a laser printer. I have heard that inkjet will run when wet. I print on sticker paper and cut out to paste to the bottle.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f46/beer-labelizer-label-generator-180409/

Although I prefer laserprint, I've used everyday, cheap (matte finish) photo paper with my injet printer and it works pretty well as long as you don't get the image super-wet. Only problem is that most photo papers come in a heavier weight than a beer label, so making it form to the bottle with milk takes pressing it with a well-wrung damp cloth until it grabs.

+ 1 on BeerClings.com

I used to do paper and stickers which got old after a while. BeerClings are just easier. The design studio has a lot more options than the beerlabelizer. Its not quite as DIY but it saves time.

I use photoshop. I just print them out on something like 30 or 40lbs paper and use spray mount (Ive got plenty of the stuff from architecture school) to adhere them to the bottles. It holds well, but I can still peel them off when Im done

Back