Never bottled before

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmcvay131

Reaction score
Ok so it's my first time bottling and I'm just looking for some advice for the best method for adding or mixing the priming sugar? I'm using dextrose 5 ounces it says on the bag it's for a five gallon batch.

jmcvay131 said:
Ok so it's my first time bottling and I'm just looking for some advice for the best method for adding or mixing the priming sugar? I'm using dextrose 5 ounces it says on the bag it's for a five gallon batch.

Go to the bottling/legging forum and click the bottling stickie by Revvy. It will explain everything you need to know and then some as well as helpful hints and tricks:)

Read this thread. ton of good tips in there.......

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/

Take your priming sugar and boil it in a little water, cool down and pour into you bottling bucket. Rack your beer into the bottling bucket. The swirling of the racking should mix it all together. Some mix slowly, but I never do.

Bottle away..Put them in a 70 degree area for three weeks. Pop a few in the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours and enjoy.

Boil it in some water for 10-15 mins to sanitize, cool it off to the same temp as your beer. Dump it in your bottling bucket and then rack on top of it.

If you are worried about it mixing, you could always rack a gallon or so into the bucket first then finish the rack on top of it.

I'm on my 3rd 1gal batch at the moment. I learned to mix all the priming sugar with a bit of water and make a solution. Once the priming sugar solution is cool in your bottling bucket then siphon your brew into that bottling bucket with the priming solution in it. Then from there you can bottle your brew since it has the priming solution mixed into it already. It is way easier than pouring a little priming sugar into each bottle. That is what I have learned so far. Best of luck and happy brewing!

Only thing I would add to this sound advice is to take care not to splash the beer while racking the beer. Oxidation is the number two concern after sanitation when you bottle.

Only thing I would add to this sound advice is to take care not to splash the beer while racking the beer. Oxidation is the number two concern after sanitation when you bottle.
Very true and great point! you want to do this entire process as smooth as possible, as to not disturb or splash the brew you made. ;)

I'm seeing some people are saying let the water cool down to the same temperature as the beer?

Are there any negative effects if I immediately mixed in the sugar after the water has boiled then putting it into the bottling bucket?

I'm seeing some people are saying let the water cool down to the same temperature as the beer?

Are there any negative effects if I immediately mixed in the sugar after the water has boiled then putting it into the bottling bucket?

If you're doing a 5 gallon batch then no - the first few ounces of beer that transfer might have the yeast killed by the hot sugar water, but there will be plenty to take care of carbing the beer in the bottle. For a smaller batch that could be an issue so cooling down might be advisable.

You fry a few yeast, but the impact of that will probably be negligible. By the time you've added even half a gallon of your beer you'll be below the temp where you'd bother the yeast. I suppose putting the boiling sugar water into your bucket could leach some chemicals out of the plastic maybe.

When I first started bottling I cooled the priming solution, but it didn't take long to decide I was wasting my time. In my later bottling days, I would let it sit covered on the counter until I was ready to rack the beer, so it would cool a bit, but it was still pretty darn hot when I added it, never noticed any problems I would attribute to that.

If you're doing a 5 gallon batch then no - the first few ounces of beer that transfer might have the yeast killed by the hot sugar water, but there will be plenty to take care of carbing the beer in the bottle. For a smaller batch that could be an issue so cooling down might be advisable.

Or on a smaller batch, you can just scale down the water you use. Less priming sugar means less water needed to dissolve it.

Boil it in some water for 10-15 mins to sanitize, cool it off to the same temp as your beer. Dump it in your bottling bucket and then rack on top of it.

If you are worried about it mixing, you could always rack a gallon or so into the bucket first then finish the rack on top of it.

Wow! Thats a long boil. I usually just bring mine to a boil for a minute or so and then cover it and let it cool.

Back