Nelson Sauvin Single Hop APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

failbeams

Reaction score
Hey guys, Im planning on brewing a an APA loosely based off SNPA but only using Nelson Sauvin. Im doing a first wort hops technique, which I have never done and am not sure how to calculate IBUs for. Im guessing below using 90 min mash time for the first 0.5 ounce. Another problem is the hops I bought (from northern brewer) dont have the exact alpha acid %'s, some I'm guessing about 12% based on your typical Nelson Sauvin.

The plan is to brew 5.5 gal, ferment 2 weeks, then bulk condition 2 weeks in a keg all as one batch. Then I'll push the beer with CO2 into two 2.5 gal kegs and dry hop one with 1 oz Nelson Sauvin for 2 weeks while carbonating. Depending how that goes, I might end up blending them back together in some "scientifically" determined ratio.

Any comments? I have not used Nelson Sauvin before, but I have tried a IIPA from Alpine brewing (green flash i think) and it was great.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP001
Yeast Starter: YES
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: NO
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.4
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 49
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 7.4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14

Nelson's APA
Brew Target Statistics
Style American Pale Ale
Efficiency 70.00 %
Pre-boil Volume 7.50 gallons US
OG 1.052
IBU 70 ish?:confused:
Mash Ratio 1.15 qt/l
Post-boil Volume 5.40 gallons US
FG 1.011
SRM 7.4
Mash Time 60 min
Boil Time 90 min
Yeast WLP001California Ale Yeast:
ABV 5.3 %
Evaporation 1.4 gallons Attenuation 78.00 %

Mash Schedule
alpha 154 F Mash in with 3.1 gallons US of water at 168.4 F
sparge 170 F Sparge with 5.9 gallons US at 170.0F to collect 7.5 gallons US

Fermentables
Name Quantity Percent Extract Potential SRM Method
American Crystal 60L 10 oz 5.7 % 1.034/lb/gal 60 Mash
American Two-Row 10.25 lb 94.3 % 1.037/lb/gal 1.8 Mash
Totals: 10.88 pounds 100% 1.052 7.4

Hops
Name Quantity Form Alpha Stage Time
0.5 oz Nelson Sauvin FWH
0.5 oz Nelson Sauvin @15
1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin @10
1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin @5
Dry hop half the batch with 1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin 7 days
Totals: 3 ounces about 70 IBU

Carbonation
CO2 Volume Presure Serving Temp
2.5 11.25 psi 38.0F

sort of smash, but with some crystal?

Carefull with your early additions, Nelson is a high AA hop. 70 ibu's is a lot.

I'd go with a stronger flavoured malt to counter a bit, maybe MO or Vienna

You'll like the Nelson Sauvin in that beer.

When I FWH, I just go by the boil time. And you are ok with estimating the Alpha Acid content. You aren't likely going to be off by a lot especially given that you aren't creating a hop bomb. The NB site indicates it is higher than 10%. Midwest Supplies' website puts it at 12-13%. Even if you are off, by blending the dry hopped portion with the other, you can correct your beer if you don't like half of it.

Alternate hop schedule im considering

0.30 oz Nelson Sauvin FWH
0.30 oz Nelson Sauvin 60.0 min
0.80 oz Nelson Sauvin 10.0 min
0.80 oz Nelson Sauvin 5.0 min

about 40 ish IBUs before dry hop

that looks better for an apa, not too heavy on the bitterness.

Maybe just add the reductions to your dryhops

Still would swap out the plain two-row for something a bit stronger, but that's more personal preference.

You can skip the bulk conditioning phase. IMHO it is another transfer, another source for oxygen, and it isn't doing anything for the beer. Ferment to completion in primary and then go straight to the dry hop kegs.

sort of smash, but with some crystal?

Carefull with your early additions, Nelson is a high AA hop. 70 ibu's is a lot.

I'd go with a stronger flavoured malt to counter a bit, maybe MO or Vienna

Unfortunately, I already bought the grain so I will stick with the recipe this time. I'll keep this in mind for the next round though. Like I said, I have not worked with this hop before so I'll have to taste and see!

You can skip the bulk conditioning phase. IMHO it is another transfer, another source for oxygen, and it isn't doing anything for the beer. Ferment to completion in primary and then go straight to the dry hop kegs.

On second thought, I think youre right on this one. I will probably do 2 weeks in the primary and then split into the 2 smaller kegs. Ill let those sit for 2 weeks before dry hopping one and turning the CO2 on.

Still playing around with the hop schedule. I'll post the final schedule and results later

Hey guys, Im planning on brewing a an APA loosely based off SNPA but only using Nelson Sauvin. Im doing a first wort hops technique, which I have never done and am not sure how to calculate IBUs for. Im guessing below using 90 min mash time for the first 0.5 ounce. Another problem is the hops I bought (from northern brewer) dont have the exact alpha acid %'s, some I'm guessing about 12% based on your typical Nelson Sauvin.

The plan is to brew 5.5 gal, ferment 2 weeks, then bulk condition 2 weeks in a keg all as one batch. Then I'll push the beer with CO2 into two 2.5 gal kegs and dry hop one with 1 oz Nelson Sauvin for 2 weeks while carbonating. Depending how that goes, I might end up blending them back together in some "scientifically" determined ratio.

Any comments? I have not used Nelson Sauvin before, but I have tried a IIPA from Alpine brewing (green flash i think) and it was great.

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP001
Yeast Starter: YES
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: NO
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.4
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 49
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 7.4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14

Nelson's APA
Brew Target Statistics
Style American Pale Ale
Efficiency 70.00 %
Pre-boil Volume 7.50 gallons US
OG 1.052
IBU 70 ish?:confused:
Mash Ratio 1.15 qt/l
Post-boil Volume 5.40 gallons US
FG 1.011
SRM 7.4
Mash Time 60 min
Boil Time 90 min
Yeast WLP001California Ale Yeast:
ABV 5.3 %
Evaporation 1.4 gallons Attenuation 78.00 %

Mash Schedule
alpha 154 F Mash in with 3.1 gallons US of water at 168.4 F
sparge 170 F Sparge with 5.9 gallons US at 170.0F to collect 7.5 gallons US

Fermentables
Name Quantity Percent Extract Potential SRM Method
American Crystal 60L 10 oz 5.7 % 1.034/lb/gal 60 Mash
American Two-Row 10.25 lb 94.3 % 1.037/lb/gal 1.8 Mash
Totals: 10.88 pounds 100% 1.052 7.4

Hops
Name Quantity Form Alpha Stage Time
0.5 oz Nelson Sauvin FWH
0.5 oz Nelson Sauvin @15
1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin @10
1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin @5
Dry hop half the batch with 1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin 7 days
Totals: 3 ounces about 70 IBU

Carbonation
CO2 Volume Presure Serving Temp
2.5 11.25 psi 38.0F

I think you've got something going with this one! I absolutely LOVE Nelson. I would skip is the bulk conditioning though. I don't know if Nelson fades quickly or not (my Nelson beers don't last that long!) but I wouldn't chance it. Only other suggestion I would make...if it were my beer...would be to drop the C60 to something far lighter so I can really let Nelson be the star. For me, the C60 would play into the beer too much, but that's just my preference! Let us know how it turns out either way!

Edit: Didn't see you had 70 IBUs...if that's the case I'd leave the C60 haha!

Back