Nelson Sauvin Collective Order (San Diego)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwsenoj

Reaction score
Hi HBT,

I have been wanting to try to brew a clone of Alpine Beer Co's "Nelson" IPA which is hopped exclusively with Nelson Sauvin hops from New Zealand. The problem I have run into is that no home brew stores I have seen, online or in person, carry the Nelson hop. Would anyone be interested in joining in a purchase of a few pounds of the stuff so the price of shipping would be spread out? I would be willing to take the order and distribute the hops to all who pitch in (I am not looking to turn any kind of profit here). So, who is with me?

It looks like the hop company that sells Nelson sells in packages that are about 15 kg or about 33 lbs. It will take a few people to get the ball rolling on this one :)

You can buy nelsons from Austin homebrew. I just bought a pound.

Also, I'm almost 100% positive that nelsons aren't the only hop in the alpine Nelson. I know they don't bitter with them, and I'm pretty sure they are blended with a C hop like centennial.

Can you add a link to the page where Austin hbs has Nelsons. I looked at all of their hops, both pellet and leaf but to no avail.

Looks like they may have run out. I just bought a pound each of those, amarillos, and citra last week. Looks like lucky timing for me.

i'm in for a pound assuming price is inline with regular bulk prices

i called a LHBS in No County who said they could special order Nelson hops and then I received a call back that their supplier is back ordered and no clue when they'll be in but sounded like it could be a while

It looks like the minimum order is 44 lbs and the price per lb is $12 (not including shipping). It will take a few more interested homebrewers before it will even come close to working. Spread the word if you please :)

Yup. As of last Thursday. There did not seem to be any indication that they were in short supply either.

Thread should probably be moved to the new Group Buy section for more action.

I've never tried the beer, or anything I know of that uses this hop, but I'd go a 1lb to help the cause, and being local no shipping charges.

bitmask said:

I've never tried the beer, or anything I know of that uses this hop, but I'd go a 1lb to help the cause, and being local no shipping charges.

Agreed. Please post the link to the new thread when it's created. The first post should be a running list of those committed and how much they are in for.

beers that you can probably find in the area to try:
alpine nelson
breakwater full nelson
Widmer Drifter

Alpine Nelson is a MUST try if you like IPAs.

i just talked to hydrobrew in oceanside who supplies Breakwater

they told me that there was a massive amount of the nelson hops that were left to rot on the vine as a result of the earthquake (unconfirmed) and they can't get any Nelson in for some time.

maybe you wanna contact them to see if they would be interested in getting in on the buy as well to help us get to 33 lbs if they are still available?

Terrapinj, I find this pretty unlikely. I live here in El Centro, CA where the 7.whatever earthquake hit last Easter. I do not think there was any interruption in the farming down here and the one in NZ was ~ 10 times weaker than the one we had here. The only thing that I can think of that may be different is the trellis systems they have, but still, i find it pretty unlikely. For comparison's sake, with a 6.3, most of the stuff in your cupboards stays put.

the earthquake was in christchurch,i'd be surprised if the even felt it in nelson,i can't imagine why it would affect the hop farms up there,they mention nothing on their website.

they supply kilo bags also (2.2lb) if you don't want such a large amount.

go easy with sauvin,its pretty easy to overdo it!

...back from the dead...

Is there still any interest in this? I'd love to do a NS IPA :)

Back