Nelson Saison for comments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmaupin

Reaction score
Saison Nelson
==========================================================
Batch Size 5.500 gal
Boil Size 7.300 gal
Boil Time 1.000 hr
Efficiency 90%
OG 1.043 sg
FG 1.003 sg
ABV 5.2%
Bitterness 25.9 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 3.2 srm (Morey)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Yield Color
Pilsner (2 Row) Bel Grain 5.000 lb Yes 79% 2.0 srm
Weyermann - Vienna Malt Grain 1.000 lb Yes 81% 3.9 srm
White Wheat Malt Grain 1.000 lb Yes 86% 2.0 srm
Oats, Malted Grain 8.000 oz Yes 80% 2.5 srm
Weyermann - Acidulated Malt Grain 4.000 oz Yes 80% 3.2 srm
Total grain: 7.750 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Willamette 6.5% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 22.0
Nelson Sauvin 11.7% 0.500 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 3.9
Nelson Sauvin 11.7% 0.500 oz Boil 0.000 s Pellet 0.0
Nelson Sauvin 11.7% 0.500 oz Aroma 20.00 min Pellet 0.0
Nelson Sauvin 11.7% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 3.000 day Pellet 0.0

Yeasts
Yeast Bay - Saison Blend II

This is my first time using Nelson. My main question is if the Nelson will be too much?

Dry ales or lagers will tend to show their hop character much more but a slightly higher ABV can balance it out.
Your version of a saison is no exception but personal preference is all that matters when it comes to commonly accepted bitterness-to-gravity ratios. In my opinion, you chose a moderately high AAU hop mix for bittering and aroma so your BU:GU ratio will put your recipe on the more hoppy side but not on the order of an IPA or 2IPA.
Personally, I see no problems with your grain or hopping choices. My beers typically run from .3-.5 on the bittering to gravity scale with noble hops. You'll never know until you brew it unless there's a comparable commercial beer you like that's similar.

You can NEVER have too much Nelson!!! Lol

Seriously, it's one of my favorite hops, though I personally have never brewed with it (a friend makes a half/full Nelson APA that is freaking delicious!).

I really like your recipe! You should end up with great hop character. I may add a pound or two more base malt if I were to attempt it, but I like a bigger saison usually.

Looks good to me. I wouldn't change a thing (unless there's a cheaper/more anonymous hop you can use for the 60min charge).

I should have said that I've made quite a few saisons, and I made a Simcoe/Amarillo saison last year that I really liked, so I like some hop flavor with a saison. I really like TYB Saison Blend II in any saison, usually with Styrian Golding or Hallertau for flavor, which allows the yeast to stand out. I have made some bigger saisons up to 7.5%, but I'm looking for a lighter abv summer drinker in this one. I have a half pound of Nelson so I will be making another Nelson saison after I review this one. I'm making this tomorrow.

I do have some Magnum that I could bitter with, but I was thinking of using something that had a little flavor from the bittering as I find Magnum super smooth and flavorless when used to bitter (never used it for anything but bittering).

So if you're doing this particular brew why not post another thread showcasing your work? I'd be interested in your results, maybe a couple opinions, and pictures if possible. Using the grist as a base foundation for a version of lighter Belgian specialty ale would be an interesting sidetrack, too.
Not that I'm piddling around with a comparable idea, mind you, but I am. :)
Right now I have enough grains for another three brews waiting but they aren't saison styles.

You can NEVER have too much Nelson!!! Lol

Seriously, it's one of my favorite hops, though I personally have never brewed with it (a friend makes a half/full Nelson APA that is freaking delicious!).

I really like your recipe! You should end up with great hop character. I may add a pound or two more base malt if I were to attempt it, but I like a bigger saison usually.

I tend to agree. If i could get/afford Nelson, I might use anything but! Funkwerks NelsonSauvin Saison is awesome.

IMG_3172.JPG

This is a Wyeast Farmhouse Ale/ Brett B mixed ferm.

All Pilsner malt.
And Nelson.

I’ve done this twice now and really like it. Nelson is fantastic in a Saison.

This second batch is a little too strong on the leather and pepper but very refreshing and satisfying...dry.

Aroma is killer...vibrant.

Please let us know how yours comes out and what you think.

Last edited:
I ended up adding 5oz dextrose 1.049/1.005 OG/FG. I wish I would have added more Nelson. The way it is, it is a good saison. Nelson character is definitely there, especially on the finish and invites another sip. Thanks for the comments everyone.

I just bottled a 1.062/1.008 Belgian Blonde with WLP530 and 2oz Nelson in whirlpool and another 2oz dry. A comparison will be interesting.

Back