Nelson Imperial Black Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
3Gallon Batch size:

8 lb two row
1lb C60
7oz midnight wheat malt
6oz Black Prinz malt

3/4oz magnum (16.75%) 60 min
1/2oz Nelson Sauvin at 10 and 5
Then 1 oz at flameout and another to dry hop

Target:
80ibu
50srm
8.5% ABV

Mash at 149 and pitch some PacMan yeast to bring the FG down.
Any thoughts on the two black malts?

I should mention I already have the 2row and crystal malts weighed and milled.
I could also add some table sugar and make this a 5 gallon session ipa, but I have an empty 3gal carboy and I want to do this tonight while my wife is out with her sister lol.

mmmmm, that looks really tasty. i absolutely love midnight wheat. i'd suspect that this one is going to cock an eyebrow or two.

That sounds really good.

My philosophy with Black IPA is that the dark malts should only be there for color and provide little to no flavor. I should be able to sample a regular IPA and a Black side by side blindfolded and not be able to tell the color just by flavor and aromatics.

This recipe seems to follow that thought process. Cheers!

I'd be a little worried that the hop flavor will be muted. 2 ounces on a 3 gallon batch seems a little low to me. Add in the fact that there are roasted malts to compete with and it could be low on hop flavor.

That sounds really good.

My philosophy with Black IPA is that the dark malts should only be there for color and provide little to no flavor. I should be able to sample a regular IPA and a Black side by side blindfolded and not be able to tell the color just by flavor and aromatics.

/QUOTE]

:off: I'm curious about this. I know a lot of people feel this way about black IPA, but I don't get it. What is the point of making the beer black if there is no flavor? To me it is like adding green dye to beer, a novelty. I like it to have a noticeable contribution, but definitely be in the background.

I've had some bad experience judging black IPA in the past. It's either an overwhelming coffee or an overwhelming roast or an unbalanced sense of both.

Just be careful with your dark and roasty malts. That's all I'm saying.

I'd be a little worried that the hop flavor will be muted. 2 ounces on a 3 gallon batch seems a little low to me. Add in the fact that there are roasted malts to compete with and it could be low on hop flavor.
There's 3.75 oz all together. In a 5.5g batch that would be almost 7oz or so.

I've had some bad experience judging black IPA in the past. It's either an overwhelming coffee or an overwhelming roast or an unbalanced sense of both.

Just be careful with your dark and roasty malts. That's all I'm saying.

I chose the midnight wheat and black Prinz because they are supposed to have the least roasty astrigent coffee like flavors out of the black malts.

sounds tasty!!! Is this your recipe? let us know how it turns out.

Yes it is, its loosely based off Widmers pitch black ipa which my wife actually likes lol.

There's 3.75 oz all together. In a 5.5g batch that would be almost 7oz or so.

It's quite a strong beer though too. You essentially have a DIPA and added a roasted element. Anyways, I know hops are very subjective and personal and wish you the best. I hope it comes out what you were hoping for :mug:

Just took a hydro and added an oz of nelson
1.082 OG 1.015 FG for about 8.8%
Man the sample was tasty. I think this is the most excited about a homebrew I've been thus far.

ForumRunner_20131217_142526.jpg

That sounds really good.

/QUOTE]

:off: I'm curious about this. I know a lot of people feel this way about black IPA, but I don't get it. What is the point of making the beer black if there is no flavor? To me it is like adding green dye to beer, a novelty. I like it to have a noticeable contribution, but definitely be in the background.

Same, here. I like the black IPA and I don't want astringent bitterness from the malt but I do want to get some flavor from the dark malts or like brewmeister13 says, it's like adding food coloring - what's the point?
My philosophy for Strong American Dark Ale/Cascadian ale/Black IPA is aim for a dry brew w/ a water profile high in sulfates to make the hops pop - little to no astringency (none from malt), but built on a solid and rich malt backbone w/ lots of late and dry hopping.

The midnight wheat and black Prinz malts should add a dark color and a soft rounded roasted bitterness rather than the Sharp coffee like you would get in a stout

Back