Hoppy Black Belgian Ale recipe - seeking feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bingggo

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I’m a fan of the Black IPA, especially the Bombay After Dark recipe from BYO – I did it with Galaxy and HPA-035 hops and it had lovely fruity aromatics without an overbearing resinous thing going on, and restrained roasty hints: https://byo.com/blog...e-beers-of-2013

Would like to try a Black Belgian Ale. I’ve read all of Jamil’s Belgian recipes in Brewing Classic Styles, and his Dark Belgian is a self-admitted overly complex spec grain bill that still turns out a winner. I’m wondering if I can apply the Bombay and Jamil philosophy successfully in the following recipe, which is a bit of a mashup of his Belgian recipes.

Are there suggestions on spec grains to cut out or alter? It’s got two more spec grains than Jamil’s Dark Strong, even if less percentage per grain – maybe I should cut out the Melanoiden and/or Biscuit.

I have crystalised dark candi - is there a big difference to the syrup version?

Look forward to any comments!

Cheers,

B

---

21 Litres - ABV 7.0% - OG 1.066 - FG 1.012 - 65 EBC

Yeast: I think I’ll split the batch between Belle Saison, Abbaye and T-58 dry yeasts to see which works best.

Hops: still thinking about the hop schedule, but going for about 45 IBU. Probably about 25 IBU bittering charge, and 60g additions at 5m, 0m and dryhop. Sierra Nevada uses Nelson Sauvin and Sorachi in their Black Belgian IPA so might go with that. Or Ella and HPA-035. Or Amarillo. Or something more traditional?

Malts - partial mash:

Amount Name %

Grams

2000 Light DME or Pilsener LME equiv 37.9

1500 Briess 50% Munich Extract 28.4

100 Wheat DME 2.3

500 Candi Sugar Dark 9.5

250 Dextrose 4.7

190 Munich Malt 3.6

120 Special B 2.3

120 Caramunich 2.3

120 Aromatic 2.3