NEIPA water Profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcmb

Novice Brewer.....Thanks to Covid
Reaction score
I grabbed this water profile to add to a targer water profile for beer smith When I add the target water profile do i adjust the PH on the target water profile to be 5.5 for a neipa?
My typical water profile for a hazy IPA usually looks something like this.

Calcium (Ca2+) 119
Magnesium (Mg2+) 3
Sodium (Na+) 33
Choride (Cl–)195
Sulfate (SO42-) 75
Bicarbonates (HCO3–) 58

This is the adjustments I get Can i get your thoughts? I apreciate the help as i'm an idiot when it comes to this part of it, but i'm trying to learn
waterprofile.PNG

This may or may not initially matter to you, but your chosen water profile does not exhibit a very good Cation and Anion mEq/L balance. The only problem in this is that it means the profile will be impossible to achieve in the real world.

That aside, the general procedure is to adjust the sparge water to pH 5.4-5.6 whereby to reduce the Alkalinity that the Bicarb induces, and then to adjust the mash to around the same pH range.

I grabbed this water profile to add to a targer water profile for beer smith When I add the target water profile do i adjust the PH on the target water profile to be 5.5 for a neipa?

I am not quite sure what you are asking.

I am not sure the pH value on the Water Profile page in BeerSmith makes much difference. In BeerSmith, a Water Profile is used for both your base water (RO/Distilled, Tap Water, etc.) and also for a target water profile. The pH for your base water might be useful for sparge water acidification, but I am not sure (I generally do not sparge). I doubt the pH on a target water profile is used for anything.

You can set a target pH for your recipe on the Mash tab. On the Mash tap, BeerSmith will help to calculate acid additions needed to hit a target pH (you have to enter the Unadjusted pH value into the Measured pH field, then select the type of Acid you are using).

Latest posts

Back