NEIPA help with hop additions please!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigEasy43

Reaction score
So below is my grain bill for a NEIPA, but just would like a little help with the hop additions. I have done a NEIPA a couple of times, but a little excited as I was able to get Galaxy hops this time(To replace Amarillo). Normally I would add about an ounce of Citra and Amarillo hops with 10mins to go in boil. Then add 1.5oz each of Citra, Amarillo and Mosic at Whirlpool. Dry open about two days in with about an oz each of all three and then about 1.5ozs about 7 days in. Both came out alright, but I guess I am looking for a bit more flavor, so that's why I am a little excited about the galaxy hops. Any ideas would be great. Using California Yeast WLP001.

9 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 74.4 %
1 lbs 6.4 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2 11.2 %
1 lbs 6.4 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3 11.2 %
6.4 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)

001 is not a great choice for this beer.

1318, 1272, 1098 are your best bet.

Your boil and whirlpool amounts look good. People will tell you not to put any in the boil but I disagree.

Don’t bother with the dry hop on day 2, it’s literally a waste of hops.

Are you fermenting in a carboy? If so just do one dry hop at the very very end of fermentation. 5-8oz. Galaxy is potent. Use a bit of it in the whirlpool but use most of it in the dry hop.

Yeah, I thought I read something about WLP001 good for hoppy beers. It's tough to get 1318 locally, but was just able to find it in a another province. As you said it's one of the best and I have used it before. Don't know what I was thinking. I am fermenting in a plastic bucket, but assume carboy would be better to see it fermenting?

Nothing strikes me as problematic about the recipe except changing out the yeast which I think will go a long way towards your goal.

You didn't mention your water profile which is also a big part of getting the right flavor and mouthfeel on these beers. What does your water profile look like?

Yeah, I thought I read something about WLP001 good for hoppy beers. It's tough to get 1318 locally, but was just able to find it in a another province. As you said it's one of the best and I have used it before. Don't know what I was thinking. I am fermenting in a plastic bucket, but assume carboy would be better to see it fermenting?

001 is great for hoppy beers. But maybe a more traditional style hoppy beer. It just depends on what you’re going for.

Do not add any hops in the boil. Add a large whirlpool addition (1-1.5 oz per gallon) and a large DH addition (1.5-2 oz per gallon).

If you are in New Orleans (assuming due to your user name), go to Brewstock and get some Omega Yeast. They were supposed to get some in recently. I brewed a NEIPA in December and used Omega OYL 091 (Hornindal Kveik). Fermented at 82 and it was really good. You can also try London Fog or Conan or even S04 (which i have used and Like)

Latest posts

Back