Negra Modelo bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeAliceBrewery

Reaction score
I searched the forums and was unable to find if these bottles will work with the standard red handle capper. The top looks identical to me to the New Castle bottles...and I have found the New Castles are good to use.

Have any of you used the Negra Modelo bottles with the standard capper? If so...was it all good? Or were there issues?

Love this forum...there is a ton of experience here! Thanks in advance!:mug:

Hello, I am not an expert, but I can help you with this one. I used the Red Capper and to bottle in two Negra Modelo bottles that I had, so I can tell you that you will have no trouble with it.

Hello, I am not an expert, but I can help you with this one. I used the Red Capper to bottle in two of those bottles, so I can tell you that you will have no trouble with them.

I use them also. No problems.

The only problem I have is I usually order Negra Modelo at our favorite Mexican Restaurant and then give the empty bottle to my wife to smuggle out in her purse!

Almost all pry off cap bottles will work fine. Bottles with thicker neck ribs tend to work better. I'm in Texas and local breweries like Rahr and Son and others use bottles with a very thin neck rib. I have had a few shear off when capping. This has never happened with my Negra Modelo bottles.

Thanks much....I heard people complaining about getting the labels off...I soaked them in hot (120 degrees) soapy dishwater...peeled them off...then used the green scratchy and all the labels including the gold tin type label on the neck came off really easy! I will be using some of Negra Modelo bottles and the clear New Castle bottles for my Caramel Apple Cider next weekend! Thanks again folks!

Am I right that Corona bottles are a NO GO?

I'm undecided on Corona bottles. It's in the 90% range that seal really good, but even those FEEL like they aren't sealed. But, 90+% carbonate correctly and I haven't had but a handful leak. I'm thinking about getting rid of all of mine because of this though. Seems like there MIGHT be a problem down the road. I DO, also, keep them completely out of light when carbonating/aging too.

To wrap it up, I don't think I would use Corona bottles! I'm not going to any more. :mug:

Thanks again....I will only be using the clear New Castle bottles on my Cider...I know that beer is a different story when it comes to the bottles. Heard it is the Hops that can develop off flavors and skunk a beer if exposed to light. Also heard no ill effects of light on the Ciders.

I'm undecided on Corona bottles. It's in the 90% range that seal really good, but even those FEEL like they aren't sealed. But, 90+% carbonate correctly and I haven't had but a handful leak. I'm thinking about getting rid of all of mine because of this though. Seems like there MIGHT be a problem down the road. I DO, also, keep them completely out of light when carbonating/aging too.

To wrap it up, I don't think I would use Corona bottles! I'm not going to any more. :mug:

I would not bottle my beer in transparent glass bottles, they get skunked really fast.

Yea...you can use clear bottles for the Ciders as they do not contain the Hops...I only use the clear bottles on my Ciders and my Ciders only....

I've used clear bottles without any skunking....just keep them in a dark place.
Good to know about the negro bottles, I've got some stashed. No problem taking off the foil stuff around the neck?

I do, and I think most here do to, understand about skunkjng the beer. What was being asked about was more towards capping corona bottles. I've used them successfully but even though most DO seal up, it doesn't feel like a good cap-job. I'll be thinning out my supply of Corona bottles for this reason alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've used clear bottles without any skunking....just keep them in a dark place.
Good to know about the negro bottles, I've got some stashed. No problem taking off the foil stuff around the neck?

Prior to trying my own luck...I was hearing the foil was nearly impossible to peel off....I took the bottles and filled my sink as hot as I could get it with hot dish soapy water....and let theme soak for like an hour...I then proceed to peel them off. What did not peel came off VERY easy by wrapping my green scratchy pad around it and wiping it off. Not hard at all for me..

Back