Needs suggestions on this "illegal" Blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockomania

Reaction score
7.5 Gal All Grain “Blonde-ish” Ale

16.5 lb of 2row
1.5lb of Carafoam (for a little body and head retention)
2oz SAAZ at 60
1oz SAAZ at 30
1oz SAAZ at 10

Mash at 155 for 90 (BIAB) (High-ish for body)
Boil for 60min

Sweet/dried orange peel in last 5mins of boil (not sure of amount… suggestions?)
Lemon Zest (not sure how much and when is the best time to put in… suggestions?)

023 Burton Ale Yeast

Looking to be somewhere around 6.5% and have a mildly fruity nose and flavor that will go well with a slice of lemon/lime/orange (it’s for the ladies, lol)

Thoughts on what I might look into, changes, etc…?

I would suggest using the zest off the orange as well, rather than the peel, especially if its for the "ladies" as the peel pith (the white part) is super bitter in beer.

How much? I used the zest off 4 medium sized oranges just recently in a beer, and its just a hint of flavour and aroma in the beer I just bottled. I assume that as it conditions it will fade out a little more.

Lemons? Id assume the same kind of amount. was about the size of a Golf ball (quite compacted) when i droped it in the boil.

Stay away from the white part of the oranges it will give a sour/bitter taste that can take over your beer. I learned this the hard way, the beer was not undrinkable but pretty close.

I would mash a bit lower with a pound and a half of the CaraFoam. The sugars in that should be enough to add some body without the higher mash temp.
Mashing at 150-152 should be fine for that beer, also you're more likely to hit your ABV of 6.5% with the lower mash temp.

Have you thought about using Safale yeast? I just brewed Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde with 2 oz of lemon zest and S-05 yeast.
S-04 will give some fruity esters which may or may not add to the fruity notes your shooting for. S-05 is a very clean fermenting ale yeast that is basically the dry version of WLP001 (California Ale).

As far as adding fruit zest, 2 oz of the lemon was good for a subtle hint. More like a complimentary flavor from the centennial and cascade hops. More could be used for a more pronounced flavor. As when to add them, I would say 5 minutes or less.

Edit: but definitely STAY AWAY from the white part of the peel. Only zest the colored part. The white is SUPER bitter and will definitely not add the flavor you're looking for.

ok, so the store bought "dried sweet orange peel" is really bitter? Good to know!

How does the Saaz hops and the yeast look for the style?

My suggestion is that you call the blonde "barely legal" rather than "illegal". It evokes a certain kind of image. ;)

My suggestion is that you call the blonde "barely legal" rather than "illegal". It evokes a certain kind of image. ;)

haha, I already make a "Barley Legal Blonde"!

I say illegal because it's 6.5% which is not really in style guidelines. :mug:

I'm pretty sure when you call it "illegal blond" the first thing that comes to mind will not be beer style guidelines ( i.e., is this beer to give to underage girls). You could creep some people out with that name.

"Eight year olds, Dude. Eight year olds."
-Walter, The Big Lebowski

Haha! Illegal has nothing to do with the actual name :)

This will be called Brooklynn Brew after my daughter. Every year I make a Blonde ale with fruit that the adults drink at her birthday party. :) each bottle has a label with her birthday and age for party favors.

i did 1.0 oz of fresh lemon zest in an american wheat and it had virtually zero influence on the beer. someone above said 2.0 oz to notice it a bit, i'd go with 3-4 if you actually want to have a lemon experience.

tart blonde?

The name of the ale is Brooklynn Brew ;)

jtakacs... thanks for the insight!

Thanks for all the input, guys!

Last question... what are your thoughts on the yeast and hops selection in conjunction with the zest?

Back