Need wiring help- New SS Brewtech 3/8 hp glycol chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrodachBrews

Reaction score
Hello, received our new glycol chiller and the switches aren’t wired up. (See pics). No paperwork in the box and online guides on SSBrewtech’s website do not provide this info. Don’t want to connect it incorrectly, anyone have pics they can share on how to connect these leads to the back of the switch? We also put a support request in and are awaiting reply. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2892.jpeg
    IMG_2892.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2888.jpeg
    IMG_2888.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2889.jpeg
    IMG_2889.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Sorry you received the chiller this way!
I hope you get this answered soon, preferably by SS Brewtech themselves. Maybe the wires are disconnected for a good reason?

Don't forget, after transport, the unit needs to sit for at least 24 hours, before being plugged in.

Aside from the loose wires, that chiller looks very dandy!

Sorry you received the chiller this way!
I hope you get this answered soon, preferably by SS Brewtech themselves. Maybe the wires are disconnected for a good reason?

Don't forget, after transport, the unit needs to sit for at least 24 hours, before being plugged in.

Aside from the loose wires, that chiller looks very dandy!
Thanks! Yes, let it sit for 3 days for good measure. I’d assume they were not hooked up for good reason if there were instructions in the quick start guide, but the steps went from ensuring a good glycol/water mix by running the FTS for 10 minutes with no leaks, followed immediately by powering up the unit by hitting the red power switch… which isn’t wired! Hoping they respond soon.

You can send a message request here. They usually get back within a day. https://ssbrewtech.zendesk.com/hc/e...1-Quick-Start-Guide-for-3-8-HP-Glycol-Chiller

Quick Start guide: https://ssbrewtech.zendesk.com/hc/e...col_Chiller_3_8_HP_quick_start_guide_5-11.pdf

As for wiring, I'll check mine when I get home. Maybe it's as easy as snapping a pic for you.
Awesome, would really appreciate the pic!! Yes, followed the quick start guide step by step - and used their site to log a ticket earlier today before posting here. Thanks again!

@BrodachBrews first rule of electrical safety: if you're not 100% sure what you're doing, do not do it yourself. Return it to SSBrewtech or call a qualified electrician.

Here is what I would do. I do not recommend that you do this:

The wiring colors are actually the UK standard: the continuous green/yellow is earth, brown is live (hot), and blue is neutral. The power button is a double pole single throw (DPST) illuminated switch. I would connect the blue and brown wires from the IEC 320 C14 receptacle (supply) that the power cord plugs into to the bottom two spade connectors and the blue and brown wires that go to load to the top two spade connectors, making sure that both blues are on the inside (furthest away from the edge) and both browns are out the outside (closest to the edge).

In fact, I'd probably pop the switch out by squeezing the plastic lugs top and bottom and then check the switch’s wiring diagram to make sure that the DPST spade connectors are wired the same way that they are on my existing SSBrewtech chiller (see attached pictures). If the switch is illuminated at all times, rather than just when it is in the on position, the supply is connected to the load terminals and I would connect the load to the bottom and supply to the top.

If I were to get this wrong (and this is why I recommend that you don't do this) then I would short 120VAC live and neutral across the poles of the switch, fry the switch, pop the breaker, and possibly take out the tip of my finger depending on how aggressively the switch failed when it shorted the supply out.

As I said, send it back or get a qualified electrician to look at it.

IMG_1831.jpeg

IMG_1817.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome, would really appreciate the pic!! Yes, followed the quick start guide step by step - and used their site to log a ticket earlier today before posting here. Thanks again!
I would wait for SS to get back to you. My wires look like this, but I have a 3 prong American plug. Not sure what you're working with. Looks to be orange on top, blue on bottom and yellow blue in the back
20230724_210905.jpg

@BrodachBrews first rule of electrical safety: if you're not 100% sure what you're doing, do not do it yourself. Return it to SSBrewtech or call a qualified electrician.

Here is what I would do. I do not recommend that you do this:

The wiring colors are actually the UK standard: the continuous green/yellow is earth, brown is live (hot), and blue is neutral. The power button is a double pole single throw (DPST) illuminated switch. I would connect the blue and brown wires from the IEC 320 C14 receptacle (supply) that the power cord plugs into to the bottom two spade connectors and the blue and brown wires that go to load to the top two spade connectors, making sure that both blues are on the inside (furthest away from the edge) and both browns are out the outside (closest to the edge).

In fact, I'd probably pop the switch out by squeezing the plastic lugs top and bottom and then check the switch’s wiring diagram to make sure that the DPST spade connectors are wired the same way that they are on my existing SSBrewtech chiller (see attached pictures). If the switch is illuminated at all times, rather than just when it is in the on position, the supply is connected to the load terminals and I would connect the load to the bottom and supply to the top.

If I were to get this wrong (and this is why I recommend that you don't do this) then I would short 120VAC live and neutral across the poles of the switch, fry the switch, pop the breaker, and possibly take out the tip of my finger depending on how aggressively the switch failed when it shorted the supply out.

As I said, send it back or get a qualified electrician to look at it.

View attachment 825470
View attachment 825471
Thank you for taking the time for the meticulous response - I’m not an electrician but built an electric HERMS setup folllowing some clear wiring diagrams. I’d feel comfortable with SS sharing something similar and will wait for those. Great point on popping out the switch to check for the diagram there - at this point I’ll check it against what SS sends to confirm it was installed properly given this issue. Fun side note - the only paper in the box was an initialed quality control checklist 🤣

Today was going to be my first use of the chiller - been using ice water in a cooler with their FTS system for many years, so just had to move the pump back out of the chiller and back to the old setup… won’t hurt my porter any!

I would wait for SS to get back to you. My wires look like this, but I have a 3 prong American plug. Not sure what you're working with. Looks to be orange on top, blue on bottom and yellow blue in the backView attachment 825473
Thank you - the 3 prong side is connected, but the power switch is not. Duncan squared me away though. Appreciate the look for sure!

I’m not an electrician but built an electric HERMS setup folllowing some clear wiring diagrams.

Sounds good, assuming someone just forgot to hook up the spade connectors before signing the QA card :eek: this is a pretty simple fix that I would be comfortable doing having built my own HERMS. It might not even be necessary to pop the switch out. I can almost read the part number from your picture (I can make out T125/55 but that’s the panel cut out size and there are a few hundred switches in this configuration, so it doesn’t help with the wiring).

There are only really three possible configurations: get it right (works perfectly), get it slightly wrong (light is on all the time, but switch works), or get it very wrong (flash and bang!). Hopefully, SSBrewtech will come back with a fix. I have two 1/5 HP chillers and they are awesome.

Last edited:
Sounds good, assuming someone just forgot to hook up the spade connectors before signing the QA card :eek: this is a pretty simple fix that I would be comfortable doing having built my own HERMS. It might not even be necessary to pop the switch out. I can almost read the part number from your picture (I can make out T125/55 but that’s the panel cut out size and there are a few hundred switches in this configuration, so it doesn’t help with the wiring).

There are only really three possible configurations: get it right (works perfectly), get it slightly wrong (light is on all the time, but switch works), or get it very wrong (flash and bang!). Hopefully, SSBrewtech will come back with a fix. I have two 1/5 HP chillers and they are awesome.
Glad to hear they’ve performed well for you! Really looking forward to getting it up and running. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back