Need wiring help/ideas with 460

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tator2k

Reaction score
I was planning on using a 460 for my system but now I just picked up a RIMS tube for really cheap. My problem is, my plan was for controlling 2 240V outlets and two pumps. But now I have a figure out where to add control for the 5th output for the RIMS.

Do I put a switch inline somewhere between the main outlets and let the RIMS use the 4th output. I'm assuming I really only need 3 of the 4 temp inputs.

I'm trying to visualize this circuit.

My current plan is to put a DPDT switch on the low voltage output control to the relays to use either manual or BCS control.

Your wiring plan really depends on your available power feed (hope it is 50a) and the size of the elements you will be using in the HLT and BOIL kettles.

Ok: With that said, here are a couple of diagrams. The first is for use with 4500W elements plus RIMS. The second is for 5500W elements plus RIMS. The difference is the second has an additional switch to prevent both the HLT and BOIL elements from firing together.

As usual click on the image to see a full scale image printable on Tabloid paper (11" x 17")

And the second:

Hope this helps you.

P-J

Sorry I read their site wrong. I thought it was only 4 outputs not 6.

All I'm missing now is an extra contactor.

I think I'm going to use a 1200w 120v element for the RIMS.

Sorry for my mistake.

Sorry I read their site wrong. I thought it was only 4 outputs not 6.

All I'm missing now is an extra contactor.

I think I'm going to use a 1200w 120v element for the RIMS.

Sorry for my mistake.
May I suggest that I think you would be far better off using a 240V element instead of a 120V. The reason is with a 240V element the current draw across the 240V phases is balanced. For instance: I found this 1500W - 240V element which will draw 6.25A of 240 power. The same element size for 120V will draw 12.5A on one 120V line and throw off the power balance for the total system and probably will over run the breaker limit on one of the breakers of the 240V 50A mains breaker.

I just wanted to make you aware of a possible issue later on.

Hope this makes sense and helps you.

P-J

That's a good point. However I'm afraid I might get a doubleback style element stuck in the fitting in the end of the RIMS tube.

Thank you.

The other difference I see is I'm using a 12V coil in my contactors. Also I'm looking to add a different color 12v LED per control (either manual or BCS) state.

Back