Need Validation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmugMug

Reaction score
Ok, I'm pretty sure my beer is fine, but I just wanted to get some validation from you guys.
According to MWS:
SG: 1.054-1.058
I hit it on the mark at 1.054
FG: 1.010-1.012
This is where it gets interesting. It's been sitting in the primary (not using a secondary) for 12 days and I'm planning on keeping it there for another two for a total of 14 days. The last 3 gravity checks have been in the neighborhood of 1.006-1.004. That's not taking in consideration of the heat variance from fermenting at a steady 73F. But obviously, I missed the FG. I always drink my samples and here's what I've noticed:
Slight carb tingle on the tongue, citrusy and sweet with a little bite on the tail end. Last night's sample was the same only it had a fairly strong astringent aftertaste. The smell was really nice though.
I plan on bottling this weekend, and I ASSUME that after it conditions another 10-14 days the astringent taste will mellow out some. Just wanted to check with you guys to make sure that's going to be the case.

Anyone suggest a particular hydrometer? I don't really trust mine anymore. I always take a sample reading with filtered water at room temp and it's consistently below 1.000. Of course that's going to play a part in my missed FG, but my real concern was regarding the astringent flavor I noticed yesterday.

The slight carbed feel suggests that it is still fermenting. Your hydrometer, even if badly calibrated will still give a constant reading, even if it is the wrong one. Check your hydro in 60f plain water before making any decisions. Also, check the print at the bottom of your hydro to make sure it is a 60f calibrated one. Either way, rule one is get wait until you get a constant reading before moving it.

The slight carbed feel suggests that it is still fermenting. Your hydrometer, even if badly calibrated will still give a constant reading, even if it is the wrong one. Check your hydro in 60f plain water before making any decisions. Also, check the print at the bottom of your hydro to make sure it is a 60f calibrated one.

It is. I'll do a calibration check tonight in 60F water. It's just frustrating to me because I've been writing all my readings down and it looks like a friggin 2 year old doing calculus.

Back