Need tweeking advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helmy

Reaction score
Ok its brewing time. Here is the recipe i have used in the past:

1 oz. Yakima Magnum 15.1% (half ounce used for aroma
1 oz. Northern Brewer 5,7%
1 can John Bull Stout malt
1 can Malt Extract Amber
1 Pound English Chocolate Grains
1 Vile English Ale Yeast
3 Pounds Honey

I really love this recipe, however i would like to increase the alcohol level another percent or two. I do not want to make the beer sweeter tho. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and i am looking forward to getting back to brewing!!!:rockin:

no advice huh?
No patience huh? :)

To increase alcohol without sweetness you can add a simple sugar source. Your choices include:
Increasing the honey - but you are getting pretty close to braggot territory
Add a # of dextrose - increases alcohol and makes a dryer beer.
Add a # of DME - increases alcohol and body. Will make the beer slightly sweeter but I think its the best option given the current recipe.
Add a # of brown sugar - increase of alcohol with a little molasses flavor and a drier beer.
table sugar - Not usually recommended but you shouldn't notice any flavors for this for this beer.

Craig

hey thanks man appreciate it....As for being so impatent i only have internet access for 30 more minutes...normally i am not so pushy!! Thanks a bunch!

Tweeking is bad for you, just say no to drugs!

No, really, CB hit it on the head. Tweaking with DME is your best option. Anything else will change your flavor, but DME will ferment just like your liquid extracts and hopefully taste just like 'em too.

Back