Need to transfer to corny but no gas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onthebrew

Reaction score
My soda stream bottle seems to have leaked empty so I have no gas. I am brewing at the minute and need to free up a fermenter.

Can I keg as planned today without gas. I should be able to pick some tomorrow but will there be too much undesirable oxygen contact in the meantime as I can’t purge?

Thoughts please?

Is there no way you can get some CO2? Brew buddy, LHBS, growler shop, etc.?
How about another container for your wort for fermenting?
I’d be very hesitant in transferring to a non purged keg plus no way to seal the keg w/CO2

I'd fill it up to eliminate as much headspace as possible - just below gas in tube - and Chill it...then hammer it with gas next day three or four times to purge - fill purge three times to push out air...you should be ok but don't put it off - barring that fill a carboy and gas when you've got it.

It’s not ideal but you can do it. People transfer into a bottling bucket without purging all the time. You might want to carbonate the keg with priming sugar at room temp. Then at least the yeast will consume the oxygen. If you hook up to gas, the o2 will stay in there.

I transfer without O2 all the time and never have oxidation problems. Just try not to splash and place hose at the bottom of keg...

Rock on, just don't shake the keg after racking. Once you have Co2, purge it and don't look back

Rick

Back