Need to save my Deconstruction bugs soon...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had a few bottles of O'Dell's deconstruction from a couple years back. Loved it so much I wanted to 'remind' myself to try to grow up some culture from the beer and see what I get.

Well....here we are, last bottle is drunk, and I have that thin layer of beer sitting over the bottle dregs. It's been in my fridge since I drank the beer a month or so ago...and I keep telling myself to take care of it.

I don't have much in the way of pale DME, but I do have some dark LME around.

Is there a way to make, say one gallon of 'beerish' stuff and still grow up the yeast/bugs? Should I just go ahead an make a half gallon of 'starter' and let it go at that?

The actual real beer making will have to wait until...1)I free up the fermentation chamber, 2) I drink some of what is in the pipeline to free up bottles, 3) I get some work done around the house over next month or so.

I'd probably boil up a little of the LME and some water, really weak (1.020-ish?), and just add it to the bottle with the dregs to see if anything comes to life. A month is kind of a long time to be sitting there with just some beer over it.

Back