Need to sanitize homegrown hops for dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domepillin

Reaction score
As the title states, how do you sanitize hops for dry hopping? I ended up with a bacterial infection after my first attempt at brewing with my backyard harvest and am trying to narrow down what might have been the cause.

I've never heard of an infection from hops. I'd look at something else in your process as the source.

If your dry hopping after your beer has fermented it should be fine.

Just try to keep it at a cooler temperature also if possible in the low to mid 60's, as most bacteria like to start taking hold at 75-80F or higher and really take off.

I usually just throw all my hops in a hop sock that i boil for a few minutes, then tie it off and spray a few squirts of starsan on the outside for good measure and throw it in.

The alcohol should prevent any bacteria from taking hold, although its probably a good idea if possible to bag and weigh down the hops so they sink to the bottom and arent in contact with any air that's possibly in your fermenter.

Back