Need to order the right burner for full boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hagelslag

Reaction score
I know there are multiple questions about burners on here, but I'm in need of some expert advice to make my final decision and have a few questions that I was unable to find.

I'm looking for something cheap to move up to a full boil. I just upgraded to a 35 Quart stainless steel pot. Its 15" in diameter.

I need to know if anyone has either one of these, if a 15" pot would fit, how stable they are, and which one is better?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQ4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Other questions I have but did not see anywhere else -

Which is more accurate when adjusting the temp for steeping grains? And how easy is it? I don't want to turn it on and off every couple of minutes. I saw that one reviewer said the SP10 had that capability but the SQ14 did not? Can someone confirm?

The SP10 says 14" burner diameter. Is that for the burner itself or just the outer ring that that pot sits on?

Does anyone have any other options I'm not aware of? I want to stay around $50-60 with free/cheap shipping.

I don't plan on ever going more than 5 gallons, (I know its crazy to say that) but I don't mind brewing small batches more often.

Sorry, I know its a redundant question. But some of the threads I find when searching and I didn't know if there have been some new burners released that I'm not aware of.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally i hate the bayou burners.....I use one and it takes forever but i do big beers and my preboils are uop around 7 gallons since im doing 5.5gal recipes. You may be fine. I would recommend going to walmart and getting a turkey frier setup for around 40 bucks in the garden department. There royally cheap and work well. If you do decide to go with one of the 2 i would suggest the first one with the 20psi regulator and 185,000 BTU although i doubt that number is compeltly accurate. If your trying to direct fire your mash either one is going to give you some trouble because they transfer so much heat. Why don't you make a cheap mash tun?

There's so many threads on this. Both burners seem to have happy owners. The SP10 will fit a pot even though it's larger than the burner. It won't fit a keggle but you can put a grill grate on the top and a keg will fit. The SQ14s are reported to be able to boil 10 gallon batches without a hitch.

I've asked for an SQ14 for my birthday to boil a keggle.

The you won't have an issue steeping grains in a pot with either of these. They work with all grain too. There are setups with much more powerful burners that direct fire. How often you need to fire it back up to maintain temps is really dependent on how well your pot is insulated. Unless you're really picky I don't think you'd need to turn it on more than once or twice during a 60 minute mini-mash.

yeah, i saw that same one on amazon for only $80 and thought about it too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

There are just so many different variations. I see people have a lot of problems with wind. How's is this one on a windy day? I live in Kansas and sometimes it can get pretty windy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an SP10 and do full boils no problem with an 8 gallon pot (doing 6.5 - 7 gallon boils). Not sure what the above poster thinks is forever, but I can get my boil started in around 15 minutes. The SP10 also has a built-in wind shield which is going to be a necessity if you live anywhere even slightly windy.

I have the sq14 (the second one you linked). I think it is excellent. No problems boiling 5-8 gallons and I know people that do 10 gallon batches no problem.

Something that is a big seller for me over the sp10 is that it is a square stand. I have seen people use big pots or kegs on that round stand and it is scary. The sq14 is super stable.

You probably can't go wrong with either one. I have the SQ14 and have used it to boil up to 9 gallons of wort with no problems. By the way, those are good prices especially with the free delivery.

Another recommendation for the SQ-14. I love mine, I can get 7.5 gallons of wort jumping out of the kettle with it. I would imagine a 10 gallon batch in a keggle not being a problem at all. My GF bought mine at HD, think it was $40 on sale.

Back