Need thicker Corney keg lid o-ring number

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crimsonwine

Reaction score
I came across a thread where someone gave a McMaster Carr part number for a thicker lid o-ring that helps seal the lid leak...and I can not find it again...

This is not for the standard o-ring #9452K218 but for a thicker one similair to what williams brewing sells....does anyone have the mcmaster part number?

Thanks

Anything wrong with the Williams Brewing o-ring? I'm having a similar issue getting an older 3 gallon corney to seal with the normal seal. No matter how much pressure I put it under the lid still leaks.

Definitely try the silicone, #9396K926. I don't think the #418 ring will work. It's not a larger cross section but rather an 1/8" larger in overall diameter. The silicone is a softer rubber and combined with a food grade grease, it should seal as much as that lid is capable of. Any leaks after that are due to a defect in the lid or keg surface and that would need to be found and addressed.

Nothing looked bent and both the lid and the keg lip looked normal. It didn't feel like it had as tight a snap to it when closing the lid, maybe i'll check to see if anything is bend on the lid before ordering. And i'll lube up that o-ring with a ton of keg lube and give it a go again.

Gotta get it working, had to bottle the entire last batch cause my other 5 gallon kegs were full. I don't enjoy bottling as much as I used to now that I know the joy and time savings of kegging.

Thanks for the ideas and sorry to thread jack Crimsonwine

I can vouch for the Williams Brewing 'extra thick n' soft' lid o-rings they sell. They've helped my abused cornies hold a good seal again without running 30psi to seat the lid even.

I can vouch for the Williams Brewing 'extra thick n' soft' lid o-rings they sell. They've helped my abused cornies hold a good seal again without running 30psi to seat the lid even.

Is it silicone? That's the only food grade material I can think of softer than Buna-n (PTFE is harder). Even McMaster-Carr only has them in one thickness if you choose dash number 417. However I find those seal far better than the buna-n ones and they are good enough for my kegs.

The buna-n quad seal post o-rings are a game changer.

I thought someone posted that they had a MC part # for an o-ring that was the same that Williams was selling....

I have a keg that wont seal unless I have 30 PSI on it and that is with a new o-ring and Vaseline...and if I drop the psi to serving pressure it starts to leak...

I have inspected the lid and even exchanged lids and it still leaks....so my last resort is to try the softer, thicker o-ring...

and for those that want details....I kegged a beer in it and sealed it with 30 psi and put it into my Keezer...I bled off the excess pressure to 10PSI and after 30 minutes I noticed my COS gauge was going erratic and blowing off the relief valve...it was weird and I traced it to the Corney constantly leaking....

I want to put an order into MC for O-rings anyway so I might as well get the right one for the lid...

And i'll lube up that o-ring with a ton of keg lube and give it a go again.
'Extra' lube won't help it seal any better than the 'right' amount, just a very light coating is all you need.

I haven't actually measured them but the silicon o-rings from McMaster seem to have a slightly smaller cross-section than the buna ones from HBSs. Sometimes I have better luck with the buna ones.

Hey Paulasaurus, did you try the thick silicone McMaster o-rings? I just ordered a 5 pack of them, curious how they worked for you.

I'm fermenting in a 15.5 gallon corney and now that primary fermentation has slowed after 4 days, co2 is escaping the lid rather than the blowoff tube I rigged on the gas-in post.

Nope, haven't had a chance to order anything up yet.

Let me know what you think of them once you have a chance to put it to the test.

Thanks!

I've got an idea. Slip a penny under each of the legs. This will press the lid up a bit further for a tighter seal. It's worth a try.

maida7 said:
I've got an idea. Slip a penny under each of the legs. This will press the lid up a bit further for a tighter seal. It's worth a try.
I tried that yesterday. It's hard, but doable. Still had a slight leak without pressure in the keg.

Paulasaurus said:
Nope, haven't had a chance to order anything up yet.

Let me know what you think of them once you have a chance to put it to the test.

Thanks!

These silicone o-rings from McMaster work great! $7 for 5.

Back