Need speedy and tasty recipe for May 5th

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgerard

Reaction score
A few buddies and I are going to join the annual keg races at my school. Instead of bringing a keg of swill we will be bringing a radio flyer wagon with a mountain of ice around my kegging system. (5 gallon pinlock, 10lb co2 tank and chrome faucet)

Unfortunately it slipped our minds so we need to find a balanced session ale to be ready and have a few days to chill and carb.

What styles of beer taste ready in just a couple weeks?

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
59% 4 8 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
33% 2 8 Rye Malt 29 4 ~
5% 0 6 Carafoam 33 2 ~
4% 0 5 American Crystal 60L 34 60 ~

Plus Mt. Hood/Centennial to ~35 ibu's with a healthy dose of late hops (5 minute and flameout)

Scale it up for a 5 gallon batch, That bill is for a 4 gallon batch with an O.G. of 1050

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm also looking into a dunkelweizen recipe. I will try and remember to take a picture of our corny waggon and post it.

Here is a dark mild recipe I've been really psyched about (this one is actually 5 gallons)

% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
83% 6 0 English Maris Otter 34 4 ~
7% 0 8 Flaked Oats 33 2 ~
5% 0 6 Chocolate Malt 34 475 ~
4% 0 5 American Crystal 120L 34 120 ~

nugget hops to ~20 ibus at 60 min

I use US-05 with it, it'll chew through the malt bill really fast, it'll go grain to glass in 10 days no problem.
Another unique style you could brew thats really sessionable and (I think) really enjoyable is a scottish export/heavy/70 schilling.

Here is what I created, a dunkelweizen on the light side? Not sure but I think it looks good!

.75# dark wheat
.75# belgian pilsner
.125 chocolate wheat

3# golden light dry extract
3# bavarian wheat liquid extract

.75 Hallertau 4.3% @ 45 mins
.75 Hallertau 4.3% @ 20 mins
.5 Hallertau 4.3% @ 10 mins

Safbrew wb-06 wheat beer

Hopefully it will be ready in the keg for May 5th! Any thoughts or suggestions? This will be my first dunkelweizen.

Fermentation under way! Hope it can finish by Monday, we ll take a gravity reading before we keg to make sure then we will chill, and forcecarb as fast as possible so it can level out for a couple days.

If we take a gravity reading on Friday or Saturday and it looks to be near the estimated FG would it be beneficial to rack it to a secondary container until Monday when we keg for the sake of sediment?

Wyeast 06 is fast! Fermentation started warm at 78 degrees and dropped to 70 over two days as it slowed.

We will be transporting the keg next Saturday via car then shopping cart so anything left floating in the beer won't be settling to the bottom of the keg.

Moved it to secondary today! Got a gravity reading of 1.15, it tasts awesome already! The color is also great, I am impressed with the 06 yeast at the warmer temps.

Will be kegging on Sunday or Monday. We will probably force carb since it won't be ready by Saturday otherwise... unless there is another strategy that I don't know of.

We force carbed this yesterday, only 9 days after primary started. It tastes great!
I will be brewing this recipe again, but I will probably use whitelabs hefe next time. I am impressed with the quick turnaround of this dry strain but I can taste some of the tart that I've heard others complain about.

Back