Kegerator v4.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dinokath

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, kegerator v3.0 bit the proverbial dust the other week, on a week we were hosting college football no less! We survived, did it the old school way - coolers and picnic taps! But I digress...

Kegerator 1.0 was a fridge my brother in law found in an alley. It was ugly, old, loud but it was cold! It was one door with a tiny 'ice box' in the corner. Remember those? It worked for a few years.

Kegerator 2.0 a buddy of mine that worked in the apartment business had a cleanout and gave me a top freezer fridge. Worked like a charm for many years. We replaced the fridge in the house because one of the bins was smashed beyond repair and it was going to be $200 to replace it. Kegerator 3.0 was born.

I owned Kegerator 3.0 for 12 years. I named it Brad. I loved Brad. And then he died, totally. We had been through everything together. 2 kids, 3 cats, nothing could replace Brad. Then the repair man calls, and I break into my sad dance... Cost to repair Kegerator 3.0 - $630! No way! If we were talking $400, OK but $630, no way. Called around, got some prices and compressors are running around $375 - $425 for it and then another $200 in labor.

The used fridge market was an option but a crapshoot. Could drop $300 on a fridge then it dies and now I am stuck AGAIN. Was about to just give up on having a kegerator for now. It was too expensive to justify in my mind for a hobby. Then the wife talked some sense into me. She told me butch up, spend the money, get a fridge or ***GASP*** quit brewing beer. Well, she was right on point. Didn't want to stop brewing beer. In fact, had 15 gallons waiting in the wings and another two batches on tap already. Looked again on Craigslist. Wanted a side by side. I can fit four corney kegs in there plus two full shelves for party/aging beer. Plus, remember my love affair with Brad? Brad was a side by side. Brad had everything I needed.

Looked at new ones just for a giggle. Lowe's had a sale going on and I had a coupon for 10% off. Bought this little beauty right here for $670 out the door, brand new. Major difference between Brad and the new one? Brad was white! Lol...

In no time flat, I gutted the inside, removed the ice maker, extra bins, water lines, etc (and put them up for sale to help subsidize the expenses) and with bated breath, drilled the first holes in the side for the nitro and CO2 bulkheads. Then the faucet lines. Now, she's all ready to go. Going to finish getting the hoses and whatnot in place tomorrow but the beer cooling down now.

JPa7lqI.jpg

QdoY3I7.jpg

RI8JF2c.jpg

1wLBaxF.jpg

PSrgGQe.jpg

hIgqZ2M.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back