Need some plumbing help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoengine

Whale Noun Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a sink for my garage that does not have any water supply or sewer hookups. My thought was that I could stub out through the wall for the waste and drain into a bucket, and for supply I would run the hose over to the outside wall with a two ended spigot. One end would route through the camping water heater I have and then both would connect to stub-outs in the wall that would supply the sink.

The goal of this is to have a fairly simple hose hookup that I can use on brew, rack and bottling days. I live in the Pacific Northwest and we have very mild winters so we don't get any frost heave, and I figure I can just drain back any water when done to avoid bursting anything.

My question is, what is the best way to connect all this up? My first thought was to make it neat and have a box on the wall outside with all the connections inside, but I haven't found anything pre-made for that application. Should I just have the stub-outs exposed and cap them off when not in use? Thoughts?

A few thoughts:
  • For cleaning, hose water is probably fine, but wouldn't use it for brewing water. Hose water always smells and tastes weird, unless it comes through one of those food grade RV hoses. Even then...
  • One bucket for (waste) recovery is a relatively small volume. There's a good chance it will overflow before you realize. It's also going to be a hassle and sloppy moving it each time.
  • Can you make a sump or so, outside, to pump or gravity drain into? You can still use a bucket for capture underneath the sink, and a pump with a float switch.
  • If you want it to look neat, finish it with the box and such.
  • Be careful with fuel powered water heaters! Can you install a small on-demand electric one? You still need at least 50A though.
  • Although you may not have experienced frost for the last few years, climate is becoming more unpredictable, you don't want an unexpected freeze up, it ruins everything.
  • Regardless of some hurdles, a dedicated brew space is awesome, and very much worth it!

All of my water come from a hose, and the beer is wonderful.
On demand heat is fine, but the smaller the unit, the less heat you get.
I just did a half barrel and a 10 Gallon batch yesterday. I carried so much water to the drain that my right arm is sore, maybe 10-15 5 gallon buckets.
All hose and bucket use is because I have not completed my plumbing yet

If this is going to be semi-permanent, why not use PEX flexible plumbing system, used for new house construction. Using 2x4 pieces, you could mount It without drilling existing walls, etc. If you angle it up slightly, you should be able to put a drain valve on to empty the lines when not in use. Little more expensive but won’t look like garden house tacked to the wall, either.
just a suggestion.

And as an added benefit, PEX is freeze tollerant... the fittings not so much, but the lines themselves should be good to go... just keep the fittings to a minimum.

EDIT - Just remember that while freeze tolerant, PEX is NOT UV tolerant... you need to have it so it isn't exposed to direct sunlight...

Last edited:
If this is going to be semi-permanent, why not use PEX flexible plumbing system, used for new house construction. Using 2x4 pieces, you could mount It without drilling existing walls, etc. If you angle it up slightly, you should be able to put a drain valve on to empty the lines when not in use. Little more expensive but won’t look like garden house tacked to the wall, either.
just a suggestion.
Well there goes my design aesthetic!

My goal is to find a box I can mount on the outside of the wall, then stub through cold, hot, and waste. I like the PEX idea, and I'll probably go that route since it doesn't involve soldering or massive amounts of plumbers putty. I'm not worried about the tankless heater. It isn't rated for potable water I'll just use it for cleaning.

I have an intriguing idea for a catchment system.

Latest posts

Back